Dunaverty Rock

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Dunaverty Rock

Postby AndyG » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:17 am

Hi
Many years ago found two well worn granite bricks from the sea under Dunaverty rock, the castle was demolished in the 17th century, so maybe they are from that period, but, was wondering, have any archaeologists thought about a search under the rock considering the fact that nothing remains of the castle and it has such an interesting history with Robert the Bruce and the vikings etc
AndyG
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Dunaverty Rock

Postby EMDEE » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:34 pm

The massacre that took place at Dunaverty Castle in 1647 has a very low profile in the History of Scotland considering its scale. I do not know what archaeological work has been done on the site, but possibly some other forum members may have some information.
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Dunaverty Rock

Postby ChrisA » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:53 am

Mentioned elsewhere - to no response - Dunaverty Rock itself intrigues me. It's geology is quite remarkable as from a surface view, it appears to be made entirely out of old shells and beach pebbles! Surprising to me that it could hold such a fortified dwelling, but yes, one would imagine that the area down below the rock holds a lot of archeological treasures. Someone get on to to Tony Robinson!
ChrisA
Active Poster
Active Poster

Return to Local News and Issues