CAR PARKING...... thoughts?

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

CAR PARKING...... thoughts?

Postby MPR » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:13 pm

Opinions on car parking, what to do with the esplanade, one way traffic?????????
MPR
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: CAR PARKING...... thoughts?

Postby howlsatthemoon » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:09 am

Honestly can't see anything wrong with the way the Esplanade is just now. Think this is just a way for the council to get more money out of us, I fear parking meters will soon be arriving in Campbeltown. Nice little earner for the council, money from the meters and money from the fines.
A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself
howlsatthemoon
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby WC1 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:11 am

There are two problems with parking in the town at present. The first is that we've lost a lot of parking spaces, especially along Kinloch Road and the Millknowe. The second is that a lot of the available parking spaces are taken up from 9 till 5 with cars parked by council staff, now that pretty much all of the council's office functions are located in the Christian Institute, the Burnett Building and Kilbrannan House in Bolgam Street.

The plans for a one-way system are not new. They first came up at the Kintyre Initiative Working Group when I was a member of it in the early 1990s, so the ideas are nearly a quarter of a century old. I think what's suggested (one way south along Kinloch Road and north up Longrow) would both improve traffic flow and potentially allow more parking spaces to be provided. It wouldn't be all that different to what has operated in Dunoon for many years now. And if Main Street were one way from the roundabout as far as Longrow South it would stop the boy (and girl) racers endlessly circling from ATS to the roundabout and back.

So far as the Esplanade is concerned, I'm a great believer in the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", and it ain't broke. Leave well alone, Cllr Kelly!

I think we do need a good hard look at parking generally in the town, with a view to increasing, not decreasing, the amount of spaces available. Why, for example, is the Millknowe so severely restricted (for transport of tower sections to the harbour) when the seaward side of Hall Street, which is much narrower, isn't? (I hope I've not given the planners any ideas with that question!) Why has parking been so severely restricted on Kinloch Road?

Whatever happens, the public should be involved in full and meaningful consultation about proposals before reading about them in the Courier.
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby jingscrivens » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:35 am

I'd like to see some proper long-stay parking.

I really don't know where to leave my car if I get the bus to Glasgow. Abandoning it at the roadside doesn't feel the right thing to do. Ideally not too close to the sea, or I'd worry about coming back a few days later and finding it under water.
jingscrivens
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby howlsatthemoon » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:31 am

Sorry, but the real reason for the review of parking in the town is to generate money for the council. At present what problems do we have with parking in the town??? Yes, you might not get a space right outside the shop you want to go to but c'mon walking 50-100 yards is not the be all and end all of everything

And as to finding your car under water!!! when is the last time, or even the first time, that has ever happened in the town?
howlsatthemoon
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby MPR » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:11 am

I like the idea of a one way up the longrow from main st then back down Kinloch road. Don't know if it would stop the boy racers , may even make them worse. I agree that the esplanade should be left as it is.I also think the council is looking to plan a way to put in pay and display.
I mind a time when a boat ended up on the ground beside the rex cinema, and water up to where Mc Grorys used to be, so getting your car wet might be possible.
MPR
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby jingscrivens » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:59 am

howlsatthemoon wrote:And as to finding your car under water!!! when is the last time, or even the first time, that has ever happened in the town?

There was serious flooding a year ago when, to quote the Courier,
"Homes and businesses and Campbeltown were hit badly by flooding caused by relentless rain on Thursday November 6 2014 into the early hours of the following morning. The worst affected areas were John Street, Saddell Street, Lochend Street and Longrow where there was up to three feet of water lying."
jingscrivens
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Shona » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:30 pm

Fair amount of water on the streets in January 2013.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF6LGgi ... e=youtu.be
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby howlsatthemoon » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:59 pm

jingscrivens wrote:
howlsatthemoon wrote:And as to finding your car under water!!! when is the last time, or even the first time, that has ever happened in the town?

There was serious flooding a year ago when, to quote the Courier,
"Homes and businesses and Campbeltown were hit badly by flooding caused by relentless rain on Thursday November 6 2014 into the early hours of the following morning. The worst affected areas were John Street, Saddell Street, Lochend Street and Longrow where there was up to three feet of water lying."

But how many cars were "under water"?
howlsatthemoon
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby jingscrivens » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:27 am

My point was worrying about it being under water, which has little to do with it actually being submerged.

Or are these photos in the Courier just scaremongering? They worked on me

http://www.campbeltowncourier.co.uk/2014/01/09/southend-bares-the-brunt-of-stormy-seas/
jingscrivens
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby MPR » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:08 pm

could you leave the car home and take a taxi for the bus?.
I'm of the opinion that any time a place is converted for use by council or business, a plan should be in place for parking lots.
MPR
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby petewick » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:42 pm

The council are raking in tens/hundreds of thousands in Oban with parking charges, it's a money making ploy,
Kilmory doesn't give a flying fart about the fundamentals of the parking problem, all they want is a cash source
to make up for their ineptitude in spending money on other unnecessary things.....
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby howlsatthemoon » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:16 pm

petewick wrote:The council are raking in tens/hundreds of thousands in Oban with parking charges, it's a money making ploy,
Kilmory doesn't give a flying fart about the fundamentals of the parking problem, all they want is a cash source
to make up for their ineptitude in spending money on other unnecessary things.....

Exactly what I said in a previous post. Money talks and what you and I think is totally irrelevant.
howlsatthemoon
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Shona » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:04 am

One-way on the Esplanade is a daft idea. Speed tends to increase when a road is made one way. The toon is hardly a metropolis which needs controlled and charged for parking. My guess would be that any revenue created through parking charges would be eaten up through buying and maintaining parking machines and paying for staff to enforce parking controls. Daft.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Hels » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:05 pm

I don't think the town is that badly served for parking spaces, but do think that there are an excessive amount of double yellow lines which appeared in the last couple of years which ought to be obliterated as some seem totally illogical.

I don't see the need for a one way system, as our roads are not that narrow or busy. But do think some form of crossing on Longrow South could be an advantage.

Controversially, I do wonder if a return to parking wardens might be a good idea to limit parking durations? (just a discussion point so don't lynch me!) I would dispute a previous post saying it's Council employees who are taking up valuable spaces all day, but I do see a number of vehicles in roughly the same area of Main St or Burnside Sq on a daily basis. Ironically, it would seem that a lot of these vehicles are those of shop owners or workers, who complain about poor business. Perhaps that is because there are limited spaces?!

Would a low level parking charge really be so terrible?! (again - no lynching! Debate is healthy!) I certainly expect to pay it in most other towns I go to. Yes, it would make the Council some money - but we can't expect them to make huge cuts and not look at revenue generating opportunities as well. And no, I'm not a Council employee!
Hels
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Next

Return to Local News and Issues