Litter....what is wrong with people around here?!

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Litter....what is wrong with people around here?!

Postby Rockape » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:39 pm

Firstly, a big thank you to the young 'lady' in the pink top with her two young children and baby, the 'lady' sitting smoking below the bench halfway along Machrihanish Bay today (end of the footpath from the quarry). When I first passed you there today I knew deep down what would happen, but still thought how nice it was to see someone out sharing the joys of such a great spot with their children. Sadly, my initial prediction was confirmed when I returned from my walk along to Westport to find all the litter you'd left. Your Irn Bru bottles, coffee cup and sweetie wrappers. So thanks. Thanks for spoiling the spot I walk through every day or so, but I do hope you enjoyed it whilst you were there. I also wonder what your children ask you about leaving the litter, or have you trained them to think that's normal? By the way....you had to walk past 3 bins to get back to the car park!

On a wider note, seriously folks, what is it with the attitude of people in Campbeltown/Argyll towards litter? It seems that so many locals here are completely incapable of gathering anywhere without leaving a sea of litter when they leave. Whether it's the young drivers at the ferry terminal, parents and children at Jock's Boat playpark, people sitting at the town cross, or any other nice spot in the town, this is a constant problem. Don't even get me started on the drinks bottles and dirty nappies up Beinn Guillion now that the summer is here!

I have lived and worked all over Great Britain, and I can safely say that Campbeltown appears to suffer from this scourge more than anywhere else I can remember. I moved here some years ago to take up a job which sees me trying to improve the community and better the lives of those living here, but now I find myself wondering 'why bother?' :(

I'll end this rant by passing on the response I got when challenging a local about littering recently......."we don't need to attract visitors here, we're getting a space station". Yeah, just you keep thinking that.
Rockape
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Re: Litter....what is wrong with people around here?!

Postby Bobh » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:40 pm

Brilliant post. Could not aggre more.
Bobh
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby gray_marian » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:15 am

Agree #1&2, Took my grandchildren to a park in Edinburgh last weekend and spent about 10 minutes picking up plastic bottles and takeaway cartons! The play area is gated so didn't blow in.....Disposable nappies don't disintegrate, on my daily walk between villages saw one which lay off road in a ditch for nine months. Took rubber gloves eventually and binned it. Takes but a few minutes to train a child to dispose of their rubbish properly! Parents at fault. :(
gray_marian
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Rockape » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:21 pm

Yes, it's obviously not just Kintyre of course, but it's so frustrating seeing how people treat one of the most beautiful spots in Britain. Was down Westport dunes today......can actually see where people have had their picnic before just standing up and walking off leaving their rubbish in situ :-(
Rockape
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Ship called Dignity » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:01 pm

Reminds me of posts on here when the forum was used for local discussion and highlighted local issues and matters. Great post Rockape.
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Local News and Issues