No running track for new secondary school

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

No running track for new secondary school

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:36 am

I read with interest lately that there appears to be no chance of a running track of sorts with our new proposed secondary school. So, is that it? Games a bogey in providing good educational and community facilities so quickly?

Just trying to get a bit of debate going :-)
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: No running track for new secondary school

Postby DJD » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:15 am

There are a load of champions in Campbeltown in all area's , sadly it is run by a load of chumps from up the road and about with no foresight ,unless it is for with self interest and will gladly jump on the band wagon whenever success is about.

Campbeltown has the best race in Scotland,that has put it on the running map and yet we cannot even produce a decent running area for all to have a pop at through the long winters.

Education in the future will be great,but it is a shame there is no common sense attached to it when the building block for the future is lacking as well.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby weetoonplodder » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:40 am

While id be the first in the queue to demand a descent running track/surface for Campbeltown and agree that yes we do lack some sporting facilities, we are really no different than a lot of small towns and population wise, it would be hard to justify this. Yes there is the geographical issue with us living so far away from Glasgow and having limited access to professional sporting facilities, but Arran, Islay, Jura, Gigha, Mull and a lot of other Islands and small to medium Town's in Scotland are no different than us.

There is no reason why a premanent marked grass track cannot be in place on the sports fields of the new school if there is still a sports field on the upper school level (forget the lower field because its got more lumps and bumps and soggy areas that Id care to mention on here, another failed drainage job), that is if the school is being rebuilt on the existing site, all that is required is for the field is flat and properly drained. A grass field does have one advantage in that when you do run on it you are running true, where as when you run on a synthetic or hard surface ur getting the kickback/bounce therefore the training is not as effective as running on grass because u have to put less effort into getting there.

As it stands there is no reason why a permanently marked track cannot be marked out on the large playground of the existing school, Id be very surprised if there would be that much difference in size if u were to put to a 350m-400m x 2 lane marked area with the possible addition of a 4, 6 or 8 lane 100m straight marked area, as much as this might not be the perfect solution its probably the best that we will get.

Personally I think that the boat was missed when Kinloch Green was redeveloped and one should have went there at the same time, just a bit like the redevelopment of Wembley when a running track was omitted there and which would have saved the tax payer millions on the money that was used for the Olympic Park Stadium which now Ironically has been handed over to a football team for next to nothing while they get to sell their own ground and pocket the profits, just another waste of public funds.

Unfortunately this saga goes back a long number of years, if truth be told, nearly 20 years ago there was a meeting in Campbeltown Town Hall where the public/members of sports groups were invited along to discuss the proposal of a new sports complex for a town on the West Coast Of Scotland, the idea being that the town that came up with the best ideas would be considered for a new state of the art sports complex. Well I and a number of others from various sports within the town including 2 P E teachers attended this meeting of some local councillors and architects/planners and people from Sport Scotland etc and I have to say that it was very much one sided with, "we want this", and "we need this and that" for a certain well supported sport in the town, there was no come and go for facilities for other minority sports in the town, the floor was very much divided and some clearly had their heads and neck stuck very deep in the sand, after much debate and getting nowhere the meeting was over and nothing as far as Campbeltown was concerned came of it (I don't know about other areas) but one thing I can tell you is that if I had been one of those on the panel i'd have never given anything to us either, because there was no Solidarity (SOLIDARNOSC), certainly nothing that Lech Walesa would have been proud of, this was our chance to unite and possibly get something and we blew it through pure narrow mindedness by a select few. One big question that was asked at this meeting was the funding of it, having used various private facilities outside of town I suggested that a monthly charge of £30-£40 per member would be required to sustain this, but this was laughed off as being ridiculous by some who thought that this was way too expensive to be charging people, how ironic is it though, to think that now people are paying exactly that and more for just a pool and multi gym at the Aqualibrium when there was a lot more being put on the table at the time.

Unfortunately the fact that we have the best half marathon in the UK/Scotland doesn't cut it, its fantastic that MOK Run have been voted for and has won this title in Runners World so often and its fantastic that the continued effort that the organizers of the MOK Run put into it keeps it up there and gives the whole area a high profile, this accolade is not new, even the half marathons we had in the 80's were being ranked in the top UK races in Scotland Runner Magazine and this was when the original running boom was on the go, but even that is no justification for having a state or semi state of the art running track in Campbeltown.

Campbeltown and the surrounding area has some of the best natural and varied running facilities ull find anywhere in the UK which has served myself and a great deal of others for more years than I and probably they care to remember, and by variation or running on these different surfaces you will get more out of that than a new running track at the proposed new secondary school.

But the questions that need to be asked is do we need another G2, G3 or G4 (personally I thought that was internet download stuff)football surface in the town if they are thinking of installing one at the new school when we already have on on Kinloch Green which is owned by the same council as the school

Another is, why not take the £750,000+ that is supposed to be put aside for the renovation of the Old Campeltown Court in Bolgam street and put it to better use than renovating that lost cause (yes im well aware its from a different fund, but ultimately it comes from central government/our taxes)

weetoonplodder

In Hot And Very Sticky lagos
weetoonplodder
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby elainemck » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:44 pm

Nice to hear from you weetoonplodder! Hope you are getting on well out in Lagos.

Unfortunately it looks like there probably will not be a 400m AW track incorporated into the new school plans despite the great demand :( . As much as we'd like a fantastic 4 laned 400m track, there just doesn't seem to be the funding (or space) We are definitely willing to compromise though to ensure we get some sort of facility.

The community want a safe, off the road, place for our runners to train and not inerfere with other sports that take place on pitches too. I'm sure most would be happy with some sort of track, grass would still be great! But the fields are never well kept over the winter due to our lovely Scottish weather or drained well to keep using them throughout the year. We would also require flood-lighting so that it could be used throughout winter nights. Also, disappointedly, with the new school plans it may be unlikely that we have room for a 400m, even grass, to fit on that site. Maybe a 200m track is an option. We might just have to take what is offered - at least it's a start and the youngsters could use this. Maybe even a perimiter lit pathway around the school grounds (1k) would be an easy, cheap alternative to give people a safe jogging route off the roads.

CRC along with other clubs and organisations in the area with support from SKSC hub, are looking at other options with the possibility of having a permanent grass track on Meadows (hopefully well kept and maybe even eventually flood-lit?). We have also consulted with football and rugby clubs as we do not want to interfere with their pitches and want to work to benefit all clubs. We will continue our talks with the local council in the hope that this will happen in the near future.

Bill McCallum from Mid Argyll Athletics Club has been campaigning for years to improve the athletics facilities in Argyll including getting a track for the area - we do not have one in all of Argyll. He has started a petition to improve athletics facilities in the area and I will be taking this petition to the CRC AGM this Friday at 7pm at Aqualibrium for anyone who wishes to sign. I will also leave the petition at the Aqualibrium reception over the weekend.
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Local News and Issues