CGS4Gambia

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

CGS4Gambia

Postby elainemck » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:35 am

The CGS4G group arrived safely and slightly ahead of schedule. Passport control and customs quickly navigated, with Jim having a friendly chat with a customs officer to explain why he was carrying hammers and saws etc!! The group were really tired, as it was an early start for them and they were glad to get checked into the hotel and onto the beach for a dip and a cool down! Then their work will begin....
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: CGS4Gambia

Postby amron » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:34 am

Was great to see their photos that they had arrived safely, and what lovely blue skies and sunshine.. :D
amron
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby witchnettle » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:15 pm

one of my kids is on this trip and i've not seen any photos - can you tell me where to see them - the only updates I am getting is a text from the school and the CGS webpage x
witchnettle
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby amron » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:08 am

have pm'd you witchnettle...x
amron
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Govangirl » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:14 am

Thank you for the update. What an opportunity, your wee one is very lucky Witchnettle and also, like all on the trip, wonderful in doing this trip.
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby amron » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:32 am

my daughter is away as well and you can follow their progress on First aid 4 gambia facebook page or their Twitter page. :D
amron
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Govangirl » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:40 am

Oh lovely! I kept popping in to their Facebook page today hoping to see a pic of them arriving but I'm sure it will be soon. All that wonderful fundraising has finally paid off. So exciting and I think it will be so humbling for them too, something they will never forget. :D
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby amron » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:43 am

there are 33 photos of them landing yesterday x
amron
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby elainemck » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:59 pm

What a day the CGS4G had yesterday! They will be putting a report on soon, but their feet have not touched the deck! Do not think they would take any rocking last night, from visiting schools, to a cultural display, a drive by from the President and a Serrukunda traffic jam......... Will be interesting to read their journals! there were tears, laughter and lots of new friends made. Gina and Rachael showed off their Highland Dancing skills to a very appreciative audience and there is some video footage on facebook if you would like to see.

Big training day on today. We will be at Wellingara Primary school, but delivering training and supplies to Sir Dembos, Kunkujang Nursery and Sir Dembo's Wellingara Nursery! So 15 teachers and 18 CGS4G will all be taking part in the training.

Reports from the pupils to follow but more details and photos on https://www.facebook.com/pages/First-Aid-4-Gambia/163166470412979
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:15 pm

Thanks Elaine for the updates - appreciated. Please keep us posted as not everyone is on facebook and great to keep posted on here. Thanks again! 8)
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby amron » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:23 pm

Greetings from a very happy group of students and staff - having safely arrived in Kalagi at 14.30 today. (Sunday)

The text says that there are not enough words to describe the welcome our group received. Quote - 'we were all utterly blown away...' There was a welcoming committee and dancers who danced the bus 'home'! Since then, all have danced together......!

All sounding so upbeat - and it is good for us too, at home, that texts are coming in loud and clear from Kalagi.
Also have a flushing toilet :-) :mrgreen:
amron
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby elainemck » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:35 pm

Thanks amron, yes, all messages are that they are getting on well, working hard and taking in the experience. Some updates -

16/2 - On Saturday we ran a sports day in Kunkujang Nursery and Primary School. All the children had a brilliant day and were very excited to see us. It has been a very humbling experience seeing the impact we are making on them. All the donated football strips were very much appreciated. Hi Mum's and Dad's we are having a great time and missing you all by Darren and Rachael.

The students are all fantastic, mutually supportive and showing a growing maturity with what we have experienced in the last few days. We have been truly humbled by the welcomes received and the tears have been greatly outweighed by the laughter. A truly wonderful experience for us all making us realise how fortunate we all are. The input from Fiona Nelson of Firstaid4Gambia has been absolutely outstanding. Happy Birthday Fiona!! Heading to Kalagi today for the next stage of our epic adventure!! Agnes, Jim, Matt and Catriona

18/2 - On Sunday our minibus was ambushed 1/2 a mile from our destination kilagi.
The 100 or so locals were armed with drums songs kisses cuddles fiercely firm handshakes and massive massive smiles. They insisted on dancing our way to their compound where the great and the good were waiting to welcome us with speeches and intros. And then the dancing singing drumming and hand clapping began. What a show. The female dancers in their finery , adult and school kids, were magnificently energetic and exhuberent which of course meant a reply was required by the visitors, led by Calum J and Charles, received of course by screams of encouragement by both sides. In no time all were up and all Scottish reserve was lost.
All were giving it laldy. For about an hour we were involved with wee beautiful wains coming over to sit on our knees. An emotional and unbeatable, unforgettable intro to these fantastic people.
Another highlight that day were the Masquerade from the next village where a sinister masked figure slapping two machetes is followed by a by a swirling mass of lads ( and Charles) as he playfully scares the village. I'm informed that it is something to do with circumcision...
We were also taught words and greetings in Mandinka, Wooluff and Fulla as well as being given our Gambian names by which we were to be addressed.
most moving was the fact that these accommodating people without big bucks to hand had without any fanfare built a small block of 3 flushing toilets.
There were a number of bods in tears.
Eventually went to bed when sun went down and we were a tad cold in the tents but it meant we go to know each other a little better and i could deploy the only ski jacket in West Africa.
All good fantastically well including for a very well balanced William
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:13 am

elainemck wrote:T
There were a number of bods in tears.

I'm greeting myself here so goodness knows what you parents are like. It is all so exciting and life-changing.
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:18 pm

So, home safe and sound yesterday with lifetime memories.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:17 pm

Hi folks, I didn't check on here for about a week after our return and then couldn't remember my password to log on! My brain has been left in the "smiling coast" , a name for Gambia that we can now vouch is very apt!! I will do a little report of all our activities as I am aware not everyone is on Facebook. This will follow in the next couple of days. Thanks Elaine for updating here while we were away. We had an amazing trip and the group of students were a credit to the school, the community and their families, working hard in sometimes difficult conditions.
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to Local News and Issues