Change at Longrow-Lochend St Junction - thoughts?

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Change at Longrow-Lochend St Junction - thoughts?

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:01 am

From reading the Courier we see the junction between Lochend Street to Longrow is to be closed following Councillor Kelly's call for change calling the junction a "nightmare". What are your thoughts and experiences on the road layout.
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Change at Longrow-Lochend St Junction - thoughts?

Postby WC1 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:27 pm

I posted about this back in February:

Re: Pedestrian Nightmare.
by WC1 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:22 pm

I was present, along with a number of others, at a meeting of the Mid Argyll Kintyre and Islay local committee of the Council when this road junction and other improvements were 'signed off'. When the public were given the opportunity of speaking, several of us said the proposals for Lochend Street and especially the junction with Longrow/Millknowe was not well thought out and was potentially dangerous. We were told our views would be taken on board. It's clear they weren't. Maybe it's not too late to look at it again.

Why has it taken Councillor Kelly, who was, if I remember correctly, present at the meeting in question, so long to pick up the warnings made away back then?
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby smiles » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:05 pm

Absolute joke. Is this not a return to the original plan? How much money has been wasted on finding a "solution" for this? So now if you want to go to Lochend Street you have to drive all the way towards the Aqualibrium and then across Kinloch Road?
smiles
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby MPR » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:22 pm

poor thought process built that fiasco..... I would open lochend st and close the bit between the newfangled road and lochend st
MPR
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby 6347Karl » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:35 pm

Would a simple painted mini roundabout not be the quickest, safest & cheapest solution to the problem?
These type of road management seem to work in other areas so why not here.
6347Karl
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Mzz pasico » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:01 am

A safe pedestrian crossing is needed in this area, and why can't the powers that be install traffic lights to control the flow of vehicles from all directions!
Mzz pasico
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby bill » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:15 am

6347Karl wrote:Would a simple painted mini roundabout not be the quickest, safest & cheapest solution to the problem?
These type of road management seem to work in other areas so why not here.

Total agreement with you Karl. When you think about it though there has always been an aversion to roundabouts in the town. I can only think of the one at the cross. The junction of Main St./Longrow South, and also junction of Argyll St./Castlehill/Lorne St. would both benefit from having a mini-roundabout.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby odds » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:15 pm

6347Karl wrote:Would a simple painted mini roundabout not be the quickest, safest & cheapest solution to the problem?

You would think so wouldn't you, what could be easier than laying a mound of tarmac and painting it white, and all drivers know how to approach roundabouts.

6347Karl wrote:These type of road management seem to work in other areas so why not here.

We have two mini roundabouts near us, and to be honest you would be amazed by the confusion it causes to some drivers. It seems that they think they need to treat them differently from any other roundabout, you really do have to be careful as some drivers think they have the right of way and just drive straight through without even looking for other vehicles that are approaching the roundabout.
I never assume that anyone is going to stop and allow me the right of way anymore at them after a few near misses.

Pete.
odds
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Return to Local News and Issues