Return of the Saturday Matinee and what are your memories?

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Return of the Saturday Matinee and what are your memories?

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:35 pm

Must be some of you out there with wonderful memories of the Saturday matinee?

How's this for a trip down memory lane for a lot of people. For the next two Saturday's Campbeltown Picture House will be showing a Saturday matinee!!

Christmas Saturday Matinees

There are 2 matinee screenings of the new Disney movie, 'Frozen' in our holiday schedule this year. 'Frozen' will show on Saturday 21 and 28 December at 1.30pm with doors opening 30 minutes prior to show time. Both screenings will be in 2D.

http://www.weepictures.co.uk/filmgaller ... ilm_id=410
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Return of the Saturday Matinee and what are your memories?

Postby Bonnie Lass » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:44 pm

What a great idea, I saw a "snippet" of Frozen yesterday on a countdown Chart on TV - looks great, I loved the expression
"you can't throw snow people". Enjoy !!
Bonnie Lass
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby bill » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:06 pm

Of course I have memories of the Saturday matinees in The Rex from both sides of the screen.

As a boy the matinee was always something to look forward to. Not just for the film, but also for the shouting and banging of feet that always accompanied the arrival of the calvary /Hopalong Cassidy/Gene Autrey, or who ever the good guy was that week.

Then not so many years later I was in the projection room showing the films. It was more fun watching and shouting. :lol:
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jdcarra » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:43 pm

bill wrote:Of course I have memories of the Saturday matinees in The Rex from both sides of the screen.

As a boy the matinee was always something to look forward to. Not just for the film, but also for the shouting and banging of feet that always accompanied the arrival of the calvary /Hopalong Cassidy/Gene Autrey, or who ever the good guy was that week.

Then not so many years later I was in the projection room showing the films. It was more fun watching and shouting. :lol:

Remember well also Bill. In them days we had the choice of the Rex or the Picture house which the latter I was we'll aquaint with my late Uncle George being the projectionist.

Bygone days Bill :)
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby WC1 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:37 pm

I remember going along with my Uncle George (yes, the same Uncle George!) to open up for a matinee of Disney's "Jungle Book" and finding the queue stretching back round the corner of the Christian Institute! We got most of them in (and the capacity was 470 in those days). The whole audience sang along with all the songs. It was pure magic!

When my family moved here in 1992, my son wanted to take his pals to the cinema before his birthday tea. I went in with him to ask Tommy Woodford what was going to be showing that Saturday, to be told there was nothing booked yet. He turned to my son and said, "What would you like to see?" which is why "Star Wars" was on that Saturday afternoon! You don't get that in a multiplex!

By the way, as well as the two matinees (21 and 28 December at 1.30) "Frozen" will also be showing on the FRIDAY night, 27 December, at 8.00.
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby witchnettle » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:31 am

is it likely that the matinee and friday night showing will return?

- I am particularly interested in the Friday night showing having teenage children who arrange to have a night at the pictures with their friends and at the moment the only weekend showing that is suitable is the Saturday night and as we live in Carradale, it means either a late night drive into town and back for me (an hours drive) or on the Sunday morning (if they stay over with friends) - because (and don't get me started), there is no rural bus service on a Sunday

a Friday night showing would mean they could stay with friends and come home on one of the service buses on the Saturday x
flag flax fodder and frig
witchnettle
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby lochend » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:46 pm

I can only give second hand memories.My father who was born in 1910 in the long flattened Kinloch place tenement (ask Bill!) Used to relate ging to the Wee Picture House for the matinee and having to run home part way through to take his father's "piece" to the distillery.During the sumer months without shoes! :)
lochend
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby petewick » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:24 pm

My brother was projectionist at the Rex and I used to get a freebie for me and one
of my pals on a Saturday. Great days.
He went to The Picture House when the Rex closed but had to give it up when he joined the fire brigade.
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby katya » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:47 pm

I used to love going to the matinee's as a child, the first I saw in the wee pictures was an animated version of Robin Hood. We used to go very regularly and get our treats from the 'kiosk' next door. I took my eldest to see Frozen and she absolutely loved it! Would there be any chance of having a matinee showing once a month perhaps (like the first Monday showing)? My eldest has just turned 4, so even the 7pm starts are too late - the upstairs was full to the gunnels (sp) when we went to the matinee!
katya
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Return to Local News and Issues