Food Bank

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Food Bank

Postby hoots the scoop » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:05 pm

What are your thoughts on the recent article in the Campbeltown Courier suggesting the need for a Food Bank in Campbeltown?

Do you think it is required?

Would people use it etc??
Hoots the scoop is a generic account and seeks to generate and stimulate conversation. If you wish access to this account please PM us. This account does not or should not represent personal views! :-)
hoots the scoop
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Food Bank

Postby MPR » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:02 pm

I think people would use it. However, would the people who really don't need to use it abuse it? and sometimes pride stops people particularly the elderly from using such things. In this day and age no one should go hungry. It may surprise people to know who really needs this.I think its a great idea and would happily donate.
MPR
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby bumpkinsville » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:55 pm

Hey everyone, Argyll & Bute MP ALAN REID voted no yesterday in the HOC #foodbankdebate Let's all ask him why?

http://dftr.org.uk/foodbankdebate/songbird.php
bumpkinsville
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby bumpkinsville » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:59 pm

After what I witnessed in the co-op today it is imperative, very sad, makes me angry Argyll MP Alan Reid voted no in the HOC #foodbankdebate yesterday, has he no shame? I bet HE'S got enough to eat.
Last edited by bumpkinsville on Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
bumpkinsville
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby odds » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:36 am

Another point is the amount of food that is merely thrown away by the big supermarkets. I realise that maybe some is donated to foodbanks/charities but I just can't help wondering why people are still going without.
I also realise the problem that would arise if they started donating massive amounts, you would then get the 'normal' customers questioning why they don't offer it to them on a reduced basis.
Catch 22.

Pete.
odds
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Govangirl » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:03 pm

I agree Odds. I find the rising need for food banks really disturbing. I live in the South East of England, a region supposedly known for its wealth and relative prosperity yet the use of food banks is up over 60% this past year. I was brought up in quite a poor area of Glasgow and never did I hear of anyone having to go to a food bank yet I keep hearing of them opening in new areas all the time. I actually only heard of them for the first time this year. What's going wrong in such a developed country? So many families are struggling to feed themselves because of the rising cost of food and it seems to be getting worse - I heard tonight on the news that many families where the adults work are now having to use them due to changes in working conditions.

And we still give billions in aid? I don't get it. :@

Maybe this should be moved to the General area?
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby smiles » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:07 pm

Govangirl wrote:Maybe this should be moved to the General area?

Govangirl, Isn't the original question about how people feel about the issue in Campbeltown? Doesn't mean the other comments (you and others make) aren't relevant as all adds up to the whole picture. Personally, cannot believe in this day and age we need these. As you say, what is Britain coming to!
smiles
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Govangirl » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:14 pm

Yes sorry Smiles, I felt I was intruding into a local issue and turning it into a generalised UK discussion. I do feel that as picturesque and beautiful as Campbeltown is, there must be many people who would turn to a Food Bank were it available.
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bumpkinsville » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:20 am

I asked the Campbeltown Courier regarding the current debate for the need for a foodbank in the town, if our MP Alan Reid would care to comment on why he voted no in the House of Commons recently for an investigation into their need and use, and all I received as a reply was this, copied and pasted verbatim from my email :

Subject: Re: Campbeltown Courier - Submit a Story or Contact us [#1189]

Thanks Alan for explanation, people will see and hear what they want to hear - or jump to the wrong conclusions. A pitfall of your job.

I won't pursue the matter.

Graham

I can only assume from "Graham" not even replying to me personally, his decision not to share Alan's requested explanation with me, and help me not jump to "the wrong conclusions" and his perhaps sycophantic "A pitfall of your job" *doffs cap, that our local scandalsheet may perhaps have political affiliations? After all, I only wanted to know why MP for Argyll Alan Reid wasn't interested in having an enquiry into the need for foodbanks, when one was being suggested for the town. "Graham" clearly feels that whatever Alan Reid MP's explanation, we don't need to know what it was, and anyway he's not going to "pursue the matter". Let the readers of the Campbeltown Courier "jump to the wrong conclusions" because "Graham" isn't going to publish anything that may enlighten them. Anyone care to comment?
bumpkinsville
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby jingscrivens » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:28 am

I think that is appalling. Not just Alan Reid's position, whatever it is, but the Courier's ineptitude in sending that reply.

I noticed (in the Courier) that there is another meeting planned re the possibility of the Campbeltown foodbank on Tuesday 7th January at 7:30pm in the Lorne and Lowland church hall.

I hope there's a good turnout.
jingscrivens
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby bumpkinsville » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:08 pm

I just received this response below from "Graham" this afternoon, maybe he saw this post maybe not, either way Argyll MP Alan Reid doesn't really answer the question, and it still doesn't explain Graham's bizarre response not only to him but to me. He didn't even say "that's not what she asked you." He just said "a pitfall of your job" (m'lud) can you believe the sycophancy? Not exactly hard-nosed journalism. It is disgraceful on both their behalves. Neither of them were interested in:

a) finding out the facts
b) telling me/us/campbeltown what the facts are

This is what I just received from Graham...

Below is the response I received from Alan Reid,

Graham

Thanks, Graham,

I totally object to Ms ********* claim that because I voted against Labour’s proposal for a 20 month freeze on energy prices, I don’t care if people have enough to eat. People are struggling to pay their energy bills, but it’s obvious that the energy companies would get round Labour’s daft freeze idea by putting their prices up before the freeze started and putting them up again when the freeze ends. Instead, the coalition Government are reducing people’s energy bills by an average of £50 a year by removing taxes on energy bills that had been introduced by the last Labour Government.

Best Wishes, Alan Reid

My response back to "Graham" at the courier......

He doesn't really answer the question does he, why am I not surprised? I wanted to know why he voted against an investigation "as to the need" for foodbanks with the Trussell Trust especially as Cameron stated "we are committing to working with foodbanks", I never mentioned Libdem inability to keep pre-election promises. I wonder why he felt the need to talk about them instead of what he was asked, and his assumption that I support Labour? Could you please ask him again why he doesn't want poverty and the need for foodbanks investigated, why he voted against it last week in the House of Commons? The original question, not interested in party political spiel, or what he thinks about energy, I genuinely would like to know. I think we need a new MP?
Last edited by bumpkinsville on Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bumpkinsville
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby gizmo » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:33 pm

Might be worth letting us see the question(s) you asked, then we can decide if it/they were answered. He didn't say you are a Labour supporter, are you? What did you see in the Co-op that inspired you to rush home and send your first post on here?
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby bumpkinsville » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:27 pm

Alan Reid's response was emphatically and unnecessarily anti-Labour, I stated no affiliation, I simply thought it worth noting in the interests of next week's public debate, why our MP voted no in the foodbank debate in the HoC.. It was a bizarre angle to take to this .......

19/12/13 Think it's worth printing in the interests of a foodbank in the town that Argyll MP Alan Reid voted no yesterday in the HOC #foodbankdebate, absolutely shameful, people need to know the man they voted in doesn't care if you have enough to eat.
http://dftr.org.uk/foodbankdebate/songbird.php ….

I then received this single response from the courier....

Thanks Alan for explanation, people will see and hear what they want to hear - or jump to the wrong conclusions. A pitfall of your job.

I won't pursue the matter.

Graham

Feeling bemused and condescended to, and with no clear response, I posted the Courier's response here assuming a local interest, a few hours later, the Courier finally revealed what Alan Reid said, which rather bizarrely, was this......

Below is the response I received from Alan Reid,
Graham
Thanks, Graham,
I totally object to Ms ********* claim that because I voted against Labour’s proposal for a 20 month freeze on energy prices, I don’t care if people have enough to eat. People are struggling to pay their energy bills, but it’s obvious that the energy companies would get round Labour’s daft freeze idea by putting their prices up before the freeze started and putting them up again when the freeze ends. Instead, the coalition Government are reducing people’s energy bills by an average of £50 a year by removing taxes on energy bills that had been introduced by the last Labour Government.

Best Wishes

Alan
bumpkinsville
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby bumpkinsville » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:30 pm

The situation in the Co-op was a very sad and uncomfortable scene where an elderly gentleman wanted to pay for his entire xmas shop with vouchers and was told he couldn't, he was angry and embarrassed, as was I. I thought of foodbanks, saw the thread on this forum and wondered how a recession caused by the richest 1% is being paid for by cutting social security for the most vulnerable in our society. Then read how my MP voted against an inquiry into the use of foodbanks and was curious as to why. I'm sure I wasn't the only one appalled by all MP's laughing uproariously as Fiona MacTaggart MP recounted stories of people fighting over end of day reduced food in supermarkets during the food bank debate, Alan Reid was there. Do a Google search if you want the horrific specifics. These are the people we trust to run the country, laughing at the poor, whilst rewarding bankers with bonuses. I thought my local paper may have a comment, but it seems they do not. Their raison d'etre seems to be naming shaming and giving out the addresses of people having to appear in court.
bumpkinsville
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Govangirl » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:04 pm

Bumpkinsville, you are my Christmas hero. Seriously, I am shocked at events which have unfolded here and I don't understand why you have not received the answers to your questions. It seems that it is the same all over the UK.
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Local News and Issues