TRAFFIC LIGHTS IN THE MAIN STREET

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

TRAFFIC LIGHTS IN THE MAIN STREET

Postby JamieG » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:30 pm

Just after dinner the topic of the traffic lights in the main street turned up. Now I told a story that I was headin doon the street following someone in a car and the lights were on green. Next thing I had to throw on the anchors and perform an emegency stop, because the car in front decided to STOP and let pedestrians cross while the lights were on green. I wasn't impressed.

The order of traffic lights are:

Red=STOP
Red & Amber Together=Get ready to go
Green=Go
Amber on its own=Get ready to stop
Flashing Amber=Go as long as the crossing is clear of pedestrians

Now unless things have changed since my driving test GREEN means GO so sort it out.
JamieG
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Ross » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:48 pm

Does seem to happen alot this, also there are some people that assume that because there is a crossing they have right of way no matter what colour the lights...it is not a zebra crossing. I know we're a bit in the sticks here but come on you must know how they work. Would you blindly walk into the road in the city, NO.
Ross
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Traffic lights

Postby Les » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:55 pm

Jamie

I've seen what you describe at first hand.
Twice I've pressed the button and stood waiting for the wee green man and a car has stopped just at the lights and the driver has waved me across, blissfully unaware that he is causing a traffic pile-up. Not only is is embarrasing for pedestrians - if they step out the other cars are naturally not chuffed - it can also be dangerous. The second time this happened an old lady stepped out, presumed she had the right of way and failed to notice that the traffic was still moving on the far side of the road - inches from disaster!

It's all very well saying sort it out, but it would probably require a gentle article or letter from the Police in the Courier to make the minority who are doing this aware that they are causing a road safety problem and are possibly (?) commiting an offence. The drivers I have seen seem to be well meaning enough and if you can remember that far back (!) we would probably stop ourselves to let somebody cross in the days before the lights went up. A wee bit of gentle education should go a long way to sorting this.

L
Les
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby GarySutherland » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:23 pm

I'm probably as guilty of this as anyone who drives through Campbeltown but I do try to make sure I check my mirror before slowing down to make sure I'm not causing a hold-up first.

Of course, if you're caused to jump on your brakes then you're either TOO CLOSE or not paying enough attention...

I think it's probably a sad sign that a Pelican crossing is actually needed in Campbeltown at all. Perhaps a sign that the outside world is creeping up on us?

Regards
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Enough » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:33 pm

Hi Jamie,

You have a very good point. Though I got caught because the traffic grinds to a halt in Main Street frequently and you aren't supposed to actually stop your vehicle on the pelican crossing, so when you stop immediately before the crossing because the car in front of you on the other side of the crossing has stopped, then the pedestrians assume that you are stopping to let them across, even when the lights are green for traffic and "don't walk" for pedestrians. Part of this is a positive reaction to the credit of Campbeltown drivers as there are quite a few cars that have stopped to let pedestrians across before there was a pelican crossing and pedestrians have just gotten into the habit of crossing if a car stops in the Mian Street.

The most serious point is that someone will be knocked down unless this is cleared up. I think the earlier suggestion that the police put a gentle bit in the Courier about checking the "Walk/Don'tWalk" light on the pedetrian crossing should help, but this issue is literally an accident waiting to happen.

Cheers, Russ.
Enough
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Traffic light sequence

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:51 pm

Well Jamie G - just like to clarify a few points about traffic light sequences. Only Green means 'Go', the others all mean stop!! As a driver, I am amazed you don't keep up to date with your highway code!!! Please check the following link for further information:

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/signs01.htm

Regards

L296

Postby Gus » Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:36 pm

As a driver, I am amazed you don't keep up to date with your highway code!!!

Highway code rule 172 states

172: Pelican crossings. These are signal-controlled crossings where flashing amber follows the red 'Stop' light. You MUST stop when the red light shows. When the amber light is flashing, you MUST give way to any pedestrians on the crossing. If the amber light is flashing and there are no pedestrians on the crossing, you may proceed with caution.
Laws ZPPPCRGD regs 23 & 26 & RTRA sect 25(5)

To be fair I suppose you were half right and I suppose in this modern world we live in thats all we need eh! :lol: :lol:

but you knew that anyway and you were only testing :D
Gus
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby JamieG » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:37 pm

Think what i have typed is correct-check it out
JamieG
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Return to Local News and Issues