Kit and Caboodle The Story of Football now available

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Kit and Caboodle The Story of Football now available

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:45 pm

Alex McKinven's passion for football has been life-long - first as a player and then as a manager - and that passion shines through in this book, the first comprehensive history of the game in Campbeltown, which documents the evolution of local football from the late 19th century to the present day. The local narrative is adeptly interwoven with national and international developments in the game. The local teams are all here - Academicals, Hearts, Glenside, Kintyre, Pupils, United, and dozens more - along with a huge cast of players, including the greatest exponents of the game Campbeltown ever produced, Neil McBain and Peter Pursell, both capped for Scotland, Peter's brother Bob, Jamie Brown and John Durnin, and a string of others who played professionally both in England and in Scotland. And an Italian internationalist, Giovanni Moscardini, earns a chapter to himself, thanks to two seasons as a Pupils player in the mid-1920s.Outstanding matches in the history of the local game - cup-ties and league clashes, some attracting spectators in their thousands - have been reconstructed from newspaper reports to present a series of vivid, tension-filled commentaries redolent of vanished loyalties. This book, which is enhanced by a fascinating collection of photographs spanning more than a century, will entertain and inform not only fans of 'the beautiful game' in Alex's native Kintyre, but also worldwide.

Well done to Alex in spending the time to put this book together - good luck!

Now available to purchase online at http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kit-Caboodle-St ... 841&sr=8-1

Click image to see book cover.
Attachments
2013-04-02-Kit-and-Caboodle.jpg
2013-04-02-Kit-and-Caboodle.jpg (117.51 KiB) Viewed 16113 times
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Kit and Caboodle The Story of Football now available

Postby Mack » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:12 am

Book now available from Amazon Books and from 'The Bookshelf', Cross Street, Campbeltown. If using internet option please log-in full title, 'Kit and Caboodle - The Story of Football in Campbeltown.'

Thank you.
Mack
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Drumlemen » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:31 pm

Mack,
Been on the Amazon website. Could you make Kit and Caboodle available on Kindle.
Drumlemen
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Mack » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:27 pm

I don't think that's possible at the moment. The publisher made no mention of Kindle - but i'll certainly ask. Thanks for your interest.
Mack
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby lochend » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:39 pm

Neil McBain was my late uncle,one of the stories handed down was that he was invited to the Argentine to manage Estudiantes,one of their top teams.Problems on the political scene involving Peron made him decide to leave the country for the safety of his family.He was allowed to leave as long as he did not take any of the money he had made out of the country!
lochend
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby oorly gourlay » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:11 pm

Congratulations to Alex, a truly informative read, especially the very early days before the wars. Having done two years research for my small history of Stronvaar, I can appreciate the colossal amount of work he has put in to this. It is also nice to know that 35 years ago I was "acrobatic and athletic". Happy days Alex and I still wave to the Broonie and acknowledge that Stronachullin "is not a fish farm" :D

I'm now looking forward to the sequel of the bits that were left out. :!:
Over land and sea!
oorly gourlay
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Mack » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:22 pm

Hello lochend,

The book does carry a reference to Neil McBain's time in Argentina with Estudiantes, but thanks for the additional information concerning Peron etc. What an interesting life. You must be proud of his achievements.
Mack
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Mack » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:40 pm

Hello oorly gourly,

Your absolutely right -there is plenty of information for an update. Quite a lot has come to light since handing over to the publisher. Glad you remember the daft times we had en-route to the 'big smoke', most of it you could never publish. Great times though!
Mack
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby SYDNEY.B » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:56 am

Congratulations Alex, hubby just fininshed book last night just infront of me, really enjoyed it. Need to get another 2 to pass on to Grandchildren. Well done again.
SYDNEY.B
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Mack » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:28 pm

Thanks Sydney.B,

Appreciated your comments. It makes the Midnight hours worthwhile. Got a wonderful feedback when a reader e-mailed to say he had his Grandfather's Renfrewshire Cup medal. The record book was incomplete because the game had taken place shortly before the First World War. We can now set the record straight with a photograph of the medal. Very fulfilling.
Mack
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby linda » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:28 pm

Thanks Alex for autographing a special copy for dads birthday, he has just finished the book and has thoroughly enjoyed it, especially when his dad was in it and himself. Look forward to reading it as well
linda
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Mack » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:52 am

Hello Linda,

It was a pleasure, and i'm really glad that your Dad enjoyed the read. Your family are so involved in the local game, stretching back to your Grandfather Wattie, a wonderful, gentle, kindly man. He was a complete inspiration, and your Dad and brother David followed the same path to be cornerstones of youth development. Its a big thanks to them that football in the 'Wee Toon' has a bright future.
Mack
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Wee Toon Ajax » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:44 pm

Alex,
My copy arrived in Amsterdam yesterday and started reading straight away esp with so many of the family having been involved or still involved in football in the Wee Toon.

Congratulations on writing a book that is obviously long overdue but one which will be of interest to many future generations of Campbeltonians irrespective of their love of the beautiful game.

Interesting footnote for you. I checked up on the players from the wee toon who played for my beloved Partick Thistle. It was intersting to see Archie Nimmo played 7 games for the Jags in 1959/60 scoring 5 goals and then never played for us again after that season. Considering his scoring record I thought this was quite unusual, any ideas why he never played for us again?
If, after all, men cannot always make history have meaning, they can always act so that their own lives have one.

Camus
Wee Toon Ajax
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Mack » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:48 pm

Hello Wee Toon Ajax,
Now I wonder who you could be? Have you seen your good mate Barry anytime recently? The reason for Archie's disappearance from the 'Jags' ranks was down to a change of management. David Meiklejohn was replaced by Willie Thornton - at the time, both living legends of Scottish football. It was simply a case of the new manager preferring his own incoming striker. As you say, its a shame considering his high rate of success in front of goal. Archie was a speedy, robust centre forward, whose direct running caused mayhem in the opposition's defence. There is no accounting for opinion, but I feel 'Thistle' were a poorer team for Archie's absence.
Mack
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Wee Toon Ajax » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:16 pm

Alex,

I knew the managers had changed but did not realise the reason was as simple as that.

Actually texted Barry yesterday and going to arrange a "cultural" weekend here in Amsterdam sometime over summer.

Anyway congratulations on the book - great read
If, after all, men cannot always make history have meaning, they can always act so that their own lives have one.

Camus
Wee Toon Ajax
Active Poster
Active Poster

Next

Return to Local News and Issues