Kinloch Road works

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Kinloch Road works

Postby mrn » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:42 pm

First time in the town for a couple of weeks and there appears to be alot of work going on around Kinloch Road and the Esplanade, in particular the pavements. As my relatively new car bumped up and down while driving along Kinloch Road I wondered will the Council spend as much attention to the roads? Or is this not part of development?
mrn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Kinloch Road works

Postby Rockape » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:53 pm

Can't speak for future council spending, I just wish they/the contractors would finish one job before they start another! Call me an old cynic, but does anyone else fear that any visitors to the town this summer are going to be met by a town full of incomplete projects, orange fencing littering the roads and an unfinished promenade on Hall Street? :(
Rockape
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Ship called Dignity » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:48 pm

Not really many regular updates on the Council website with regards the project but the following page suggests it will all be completed soon. Think the must be finishing off all the pavements in one go but does look rather untidy. Pity that this work isn't awarded to local contractors too...

http://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/content/k ... tober-2012
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby mrn » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:33 pm

Interesting to know but looks like they are behind schedule? Does make me wonder why so much money is being spent on pavements when there are surely ones in the town centre in greater need of attention?
mrn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby ultraviolet » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:41 am

Kinloch Road is an absolute disgrace. Worst it has ever been yet the Council appear to be happy to let it fall into disrepair whilst drivers dodge potholes, cones, barriers, mounds of gravel and pick up the Courier to read yesterday our local elected officials are at loggerheads over what should be happening because the whole surface will be redressed as part of the works in this area in spring. (excellent timing for impression on visitors) Kelly believes they should throw money at it whilst Semple thinks it should be left to get worse and drivers just put up with it. Try telling that to my daughter who suffered a puncture whilst driving through it last week and just had a bill for £170 to get har car fixed! Bloody disgrace. I'm sure it will all look nice onces it is completed but at what price in the meantime?

As for that new road through the former Park Square, disgrace too. Cars going far too fast and once you come off it on to Kinloch Road you have to avoid parked vechiles on double yellow lines to swerve into oncoming traffic. A disaster waiting to happen!
ultraviolet
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:26 am

I dont suppose there is much chance of it all being finished and tidied up, and area around the AWP landscaped, by the MoK Run on 26th May.
Race registration and Expo will take place in the Aqualibrium this year and also the Junior Race on the Saturday on Kinloch Park. It would be such a shame for the many visitors to Campbeltown that weekend to see the road and surrounding areaas it is now or all coned off with roadworks still ongoing.
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby John S » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:08 pm

Should be complete mid April Gen ;) UV nobody anywhere in Scotland, if they have any sense, is doing large structural overlays or patching at this time of year. I would have thought someone with your inside Knowledge of the business would get that. The weather conditions are not conducive to a good job.
See more details of this discussion on my Facebook Case Book
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=168869009687
John S
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby ultraviolet » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:19 pm

John S wrote:UV nobody anywhere in Scotland, if they have any sense, is doing large structural overlays or patching at this time of year.
They exactly why are all the pavements, kerbs etc being done?! :shock: :D

John S wrote:I would have thought someone with your inside Knowledge of the business would get that. The weather conditions are not conducive to a good job.

Yeah, then again, that can be said about anytime of the year in the West Coast of Scotland. In the meantime who foots the bill for the damage done to the vechiles?
ultraviolet
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby erchiepeenkles » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:16 pm

Agree about the road being an absolute disgrace, but has anyone actually seen the work done around the bus stance, i.e the triangle bit across from Burnbank St? Started in mid-November and thats the one side just about done. Absolute joke it has taken this amount of time. So if it's taken 3 months to do that (bear in mind it still isn't fully completed) then by my reckoning it should be finished mid-May?? And of course they still have the road to re-surface, yet the workers here don't work when theres a small breeze blowing, or when theres a spit of rain, and only work 4 days a week. Shame they never got local contractors onto this bit as McFadyens have done so much more along the front, in the same amount of time!!
erchiepeenkles
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby maxmix » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:15 pm

4th gen Suthen' wrote:It would be such a shame for the many visitors to Campbeltown that weekend to see the road and surrounding areaas it is now or all coned off with roadworks still ongoing.

:lol:

Visitors !!!

and it's OK for us to drive through it daily for the last 6 months !

I don't think the handful of visitors will care less !

I've already had 2 springs replaced in 2 cars in the last 12 months and no one with the Council seems to be bothered !

The massive holes that appeared heading to Machrihanish in the last 3 weeks are going to cause some serious damage or a serious accident, I hope after that has happened someone will get something done about the matter !

Pouring tar into holes in the pissing rain once a fortnight is not the answer ! and yet no one seems to be held accountable !

maxmix
maxmix
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby howlsatthemoon » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:43 pm

Paying out on the very rare claim that is successful is cheaper than fixing the road so the council will carry on as it pleases.
A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself
howlsatthemoon
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby maxmix » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:00 pm

howlsatthemoon wrote:Paying out on the very rare claim that is successful is cheaper than fixing the road so the council will carry on as it pleases.

Seems to be that way.... :(

maxmix
maxmix
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby mrn » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:54 pm

Appears to be getting worse! Is there any chance of this being completed for the summer?
mrn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby maxmix » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:15 pm

mrn wrote:Appears to be getting worse! Is there any chance of this being completed for the summer?

Summer 2015 I believe..... Nearly saw a head on crash tonight heading along from Tesco....

I'll get some photos of the chaos tomorrow if I remember :lol:

maxmix
maxmix
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Rockape » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:14 pm

Nice to see that our local council officials and elected representatives are falling over themselves to explain things and address our concerns. Oh no, wait........!
Rockape
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Next

Return to Local News and Issues