Aqualibrium News - updated 250306 with photo

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Aqualibrium News - updated 250306 with photo

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:02 am

From the ABC website

COMPETITION IS BIG HIT

Following the success of the Aqualibrium ‘Win a Beanie’ competition which appeared in the Campbeltown Courier at the end of January, 50 Aqualibrium beanie hats have been distributed from Appin to Islay and from Campbeltown to Kilmarnock.

The competition marked the start of the run up to the launch of Aqualibrium which will open it’s doors to the public later this year. Aqualibrium will house the town’s library as well as a 25m swimming pool and fitness suite and its opening has been much anticipated in the whole of the Kintyre area.

Facilities Manager Marius Huysamer said, “Looking at the excellent response to our beanie competition it is evident that excitement levels are growing as we near the opening of Aqualibrium. I am thrilled that during the next few weeks our full staff complement will start their full-time employment.

“As a taster of what will be on offer, the gymnasium equipment in our fitness suite includes integrated entertainment centres – these combined with our fully qualified fitness instructors who will be on hand to guide and advise on exercise regimes should ensure that your fitness programme is enhanced considerably.”

Look out for a new and exciting Aqualibrium competition which will appear in your Campbeltown Courier in a couple of weeks’ time.
Last edited by Kintyre Forum News on Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:38 pm

To bring this to the top again, please see the following news release from ABC;

In the third of our regular features on Aqualibrium we turn to the library, it’s services, and how it can help you to achieve the right balance.

The library area in Aqualibrium is situated on the ground floor of the building. With floor to ceiling windows along half the area, the room is bathed in natural sunlight. The library is a wholly accessible area, where the aim is to provide a friendly, welcoming atmosphere in which our users old and new can easily find what they want or need.
We recognise that all library users have differing needs, from fifteen minutes in an armchair with a magazine while you wait for a bus, to half a day exploring family history with the aid of the microfilm reader and census information. It might be finding the answer to a crossword clue, or detailed information to help with a health problem, tracking down an elusive recipe or a book by a favourite author. For some people it will be a relaxed opportunity to brush up their reading skills and for others a chance to develop a hobby or undertake some academic study.

To cater for these different needs we have a variety of seating and other arrangements for you to use. There is a separate, quiet, Local Studies room which contains books about the area and study tables and chairs – but no technology!

Free Public Internet access is provided by nine computers, with two extras for use by visiting schools. These are to one side of the main room, leaving the large central and window areas for the books, displays and a mixture of relaxed and study seating. A dedicated “Reference Point” computer will be the gateway to over one hundred up-to-date sources of information.

We are particularly happy that at last we have a children’s section with room for a sofa for sharing stories and child-sized furniture for the little ones.
The library is free to use – you don’t even have to be a member to come in and browse or recover from an invigorating session in the pool or gym! All we ask is that, if you would like to borrow books and other materials, you bring proof of name and address with you on your first visit.

So when you make your first visit to this most remarkable building, call into the library and see what we can offer you - when you Book in for a Dip - Dip into a Book!

We look forward to welcoming you.

On another note you can enter another competition at the Council's website

http://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/content/l ... mecomp?a=0

Thanks to everyone who entered last months competition to name the cafe in Aqualibrium. The winner is Ewan Wallace from Campbeltown who chose the name Mussel Ebb - this is what the head of the loch was known as locally before being reclaimed to form Kinloch Green.

Ewan will receive a swim voucher for 20 swims, an Aqualibrium goody bag and a meal for four in the cafe.

The ten runners up who will each receive an Aqualibrium swim bag and beanie hat are: Daniel Anderson, Drumlemble for AquaSnack; Eva Armour of Campbeltown for H2O and Zest, Lynda Syed of Furnace for Harbour View; Iain McGlynn of Lochgilphead for Reflections; C McNeill of Glasgow for Slim Pickings; Nicola Forshaw from Campbeltown for Take 5; Rowan Carrol of Ardrishaig for The Atrium; Marna Docherty of Stewarton for Book ‘n’ Dook and Catherine Ronald of Campbeltown for The Chittery Bite.

This months competition stays on the theme of the library in Aqualibrium. What we want to know is can you guess - to the nearest 100 how many books will be housed in the new library?

Photo from 230306 showing the removal of work units at the Aqualibrium as work nears completion on the project which is to open at the start of June

Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:34 pm

Just out of curiosity, will the library have wireless access?
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Rabmacd » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:40 pm

That's not funny Bobbie. :cry:
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:43 pm

Ohhh, poor rab!!! lolol I'm REALLY sorry! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bubbly jock » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:49 pm

Bobbie En Tejas wrote:Just out of curiosity, will the library have wireless access?

Hope so bobbie 'cause it would be an advantage to be able to use the notepad while visiting.

I hear they are putting this in the front garden area for your visit.

bubbly
bubbly jock

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:25 pm

Oh, they should do that! Yes, I absolutely agree. And I think another nice touch would be for them to erect another permanent marker, not unlike the campbeltown cross in importance, honoring your contribution to the betterment of the community.

Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:51 pm

Actually, wireless connection at the library would be a huge plus to a lot of visitors who are connected at the hip to their laptops. I am one of those people. As many others in this day and age, I work on my computer and can go anywhere in the world that I can connect with my own laptop. It isn't just a matter of email, but the ability to download files into my own computer and upload work when I'm finished.

I wouldn't think a wireless connection would cost much more, if anything, to set up. Would be great to hear they will have wireless available.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:01 pm

Certainly know when it came to installing the IT equipment and network in the soon to be former library (Burnett Building) it was a bit of a nightmare. I'm sure it was wireless the Council tried and they had major problems due to the age of the building etc.

When it comes to ICT, I've always felt Argyll & Bute Council are pretty advanced in comparison to other Councils - mainly due to the fact they have had to get round so many hurdles in the past with regards the geographical area they cover not to mention a good IT team. So to that end, I am sure there will be wireless connection in the library. (ps - I do NOT work for A&B Council before anyone says! 8) )

I must admit, as the scaffolding etc comes down (and I have said this before), I really like the new building.
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:09 pm

Let's not leave poor Rab out of this. I hope they also install something for him.

Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bubbly jock » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:58 pm

Bobbie

How about just smoke signals for him. The cans might be too high tec

bubbly

Love the burd
bubbly jock

Postby wee alba » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:15 pm

When is it opening?

I can remember the last one being opened - always remember being so excited going to the new pool.
wee alba
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Return to Local News and Issues