Peat Bog Faeries and Violent Echo (now with photos)

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Many thanks

Postby sooze » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:55 pm

What a night and many thanks to everyone who came to watch and to help. It was a great experience and I learnt a lot about such a big event.

Iain Johnstone from JIG events was superb in getting it altogether and once the dust has settled we will look at what comes next.

Sooze :D :D :D
sooze
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Great music from both bands

Postby Mary G » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:59 am

Thanks to 4th Gen for exposing my file-sharing - all legal - honest!

Anyway - the Peatbogs were great, I thought. So good that most people gave up the chance to get the pub before midnight, and listened instead to the encore. After all, it likely that there will be another few Saturdays for them to indulge in post-midnight imbibing before another set of bands plays the Vic.

The guys in the band thought it was a great night too. That sort of feedback is important. The PBF do a lot of festivals, and played before/ after the Proclaimers about 4 times last year, as an example. All these performers do share among themselves their respective views of places/ festivals like ours; and so the fact that they left with a good impression is a good thing. News travels, and all that.

And the Ecka - first time I heard them, and they were first class. How about changing the name to just “Ecka”? When they are interviewed as they get famous, and people ask where the name came from, they can always say that it is the ancient Kintyre language, a bit like Sindarin or Elvish, and leave interviewers in awe of the mystery of it all!

To say that I prefer their version of "I bet you look good on the dance floor" to that of the Sugababes, is probably not much of a compliment! But they really took control of the stage, and the 200 or so people in the Vic at the time – all good stuff. Just a pity that quite a few people lost their watches. How else to explain their late arrival, and the fact that they missed the Ecka? Their loss!
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Malky » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:35 am

It was a good night. Both bands were good. I was very impressed with Violent Echo - I thought they did really well considering the lack of an audience for the first 15 minutes. :? The times of the bands were well publicised so it was surprising that more people didn't get there on time.

Anyway, here's some photos of the boys in action.

They brought their own fan club with them too 8)

And here's the Peatbog Faeries. The hall was well filled by the time they came on.

The audience had a good time.

And of course the whole thing was in aid of the Dunaverty Hall Fund so here's another photo for you to enjoy. The girls at the front kiosk insisted I take this :twisted: :wink: That's right Sooze isn't it?

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Photo exposure

Postby sooze » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:30 pm

The things I do for Dunaverty Hall. Was once on the BBC site having been pelted with wet sponges at the Duck Race.
sooze
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Ship called Dignity » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:35 pm

Know who you are now Susan! Doh!

Anyway, well done for a great night - I hope there are more! Iain, as usual had great organisation. Anyone I spoke to said they really enjoyed it. :lol:

Sorry I don't have any good photos - well not ones people would be happy seeing on here!
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mary G » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:27 am

For those of were at the Peatbog Faeries concert in the town – or maybe for those who missed it – see them tomorrow (Friday 17 March) on BBC4, if you have access to digital TV of course. If not, or if you are outside the UK, then there are even clips on the BBC 4 web-site.

And an interesting wee fact about the band from Boston that is also on tomorrow night, Crooked Still: The lead singer used to babysit my cousin’s children (who is also the cousin of quite a few other folk on this forum, not surprisingly), in Boston where they live! I didn’t even know this when I went along to this recording, so it was a bit surprising to find out this wee nugget of info!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/music/celticconnections/prog2/index.shtml
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:48 pm

That is very interesting Mary, will watch out for the PBFs and speculate at Cathy BB for your cousin :wink:
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mary G » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:01 pm

Yup, 4th Gen - you got the cousin right! Though she will thank you for remembering that she spells her name with a K: Kathy!
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:58 pm

aye, it's Kathryn with a K not Kathleen with a .........K!! knew there was something throwing me :oops:
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Local News and Issues