War Memorial Restoration Project to start in 2012 (photos)

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Re: War Memorial Restoration Project to start in 2012 (photos)

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:08 pm

George, many thanks for taking the time to use the forum to engage in dialogue with our members, much appreciated.

Perhaps to make the proposals clear you could detail what the proposals (or ideas) for the memorial are?
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby francii » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:47 pm

If the general consensus (and it certainly seems to be) is that the hedge should stay, save yourselves the money! I completely understand the need to restore the monument as it is clearly in need of work, as long as this is done respectfully and stays true to its original form. I'm generally of the opinion that restoration work shouldn't modify or replace anything that doesn't absolutely need changed. The hedge is not just a surround or barrier, it's a part of the monument and adds to its significance, it should stay (in my opinion anyway), unless some excellent reason can be given as to why it should change. Other than that, great news, keep up the good work, good to see an important part of the town's heritage being taken care of. :)
francii
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Mzz pasico » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:45 am

francii wrote:If the general consensus (and it certainly seems to be) is that the hedge should stay, save yourselves the money! I completely understand the need to restore the monument as it is clearly in need of work, as long as this is done respectfully and stays true to its original form. I'm generally of the opinion that restoration work shouldn't modify or replace anything that doesn't absolutely need changed. The hedge is not just a surround or barrier, it's a part of the monument and adds to its significance, it should stay (in my opinion anyway), unless some excellent reason can be given as to why it should change. Other than that, great news, keep up the good work, good to see an important part of the town's heritage being taken care of. :)

In total agreement with your post francii.I've always believed the hedge to be as much a part of the war memorial as the monument itself. Railings..? NO!!!
Mzz pasico
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby WC1 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:47 am

At various times the hedge so much beloved of so many people on here has been distinctly scruffy and by no means an asset in terms of the setting of a revered monument. Even today, when it is in better shape that it has been, it has gaps here and there and acts as a trap for windblown litter. Having said that, I agree that a hedge, as a 'natural' feature, could possibly be more attractive than a man-made alternative. The problem is, we don't know what the man-made alternatives might be, so we have no basis for comparison. Would it not be better, rather than rushing to demand retention of the hedge, that we actually wait to see what alternatives are proposed? Who knows, they might actually be better!
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby gizmo » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:07 pm

If you look back a few posts I did ask for a sneak preview of the proposed fence/railings, however waiting for the Council to show what they have in mind is rarely a good option as in my experience by the time they ask for opinions they have usually decided what they intend doing.
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby WC1 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:00 pm

There seem to have been a few 'consultations' recently that few of us realised were taking place, but I don't think that will be the case this time, Gizmo. Still, you can't have a consultation without publishing the plans being consulted on and the method and timescale for responding.
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Kevin » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:19 am

WC1 wrote:The problem is, we don't know what the man-made alternatives might be, so we have no basis for comparison. Would it not be better, rather than rushing to demand retention of the hedge, that we actually wait to see what alternatives are proposed? Who knows, they might actually be better!

We do not know yet the specification or design but we do know the proposed cost is £18,000 from George Rahman on a previous post. This hints at the quality, design and materials which would be able to purchased for such a relatively low sum considering the war memorial is such a large enclosure.

I believe as George also states "the existing panels will be replaced with a dark grey marble style stone" and that "the money for the railings and the new panels will have to be raised by our Branch of the Legion".

Would it not be better to spend the £18,000 proposed on the railings to actually get marble instead of "marble style stone"?

If railings were installed for the sum proposed we would certainly not be having anything comparable to an ornamental wrought iron fence set in sandstone which would be required to do justice and enhance the war memorial.

This would need to have been something similar to the ornamental ironwork at the Burnett Building enclosing the Linda McCartney garden (kept during the removal of scrap metal in WW2). That impressive ironwork is in sharp contrast to less than impressive 'railings' enclosing the rest of the Burnett building which were reinstated after WW2 to a poorer standard than the originals.

I suspect for the cost proposed we would not even have anything as substantial as these replacement railings on the Burnett building (and off course at the Burnett building already had the sandstone plinths and decorative columns which were left over after the removal of the original decorative ironwork).

If the original architect had thought that a 'fence' was fitting for the war memorial then one would have been included when it was originally constructed. It would also have been of a far higher standard design and materials than could be afforded today.

In addition to the reasons stated above, I am also against the removal of the hedge as creates a solemn and dignified enclosed setting for the war memorial while providing a natural barrier to the wider expanse of Kinloch park and agree with "The Dodger" that it acts like a wreath laid round the memorial.
Kevin
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby WC1 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:02 am

Until we can actually see the proposals this is all pure speculation. Instead of rushing to premature judgement, let's wait and see.
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby bud » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:42 pm

hedge
bud
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby russanros » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:00 pm

I think George's idea of putting a suitable railing with a self closing gate along the front makes good sense and could add something to the memorial.

-whilst retaining/improving the edge to the other 3 sides.
russanros
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby booboos » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:04 pm

Kintyre Forum News wrote:Councillor Donald Kelly contacted us to highlight that the the First phase of the reconstruction work will commence on the 12th of March 2012 with scaffolding will thereafter be erected during the month of April. The work is expected to to take six to eight weeks to complete as the stone is re-pointed to make the Memorial watertight.

Chairman of the Group Argyll First Councillor Donald Kelly said "I am pleased to have been able to keep the pressure on the Council to get this project started. We are currently working with the British Legion in an effort to secure funding for the second phase which will replace the existing Tablets at the base of the structure. As a donation to the project Mc Fadyens Contractors have agree to carry out any necessary ground work. It is my aim to have all work completed in time for this years Remembrance Parade."

Councillor Kelly also added "As the project moves forward the community will be asked to decide whether they prefer to retain the hedge or install ornamental railings." We will keep everyone in the loop here on the forum with regular updates and photos too. 8)

It`s now the end of April and not a blow has been struck! Thought the work was commencing 12th of March????
booboos
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:34 pm

Looks like it is now running in to 2013!

Work to start on Campbeltown War Memorial

CAMPBELTOWN War Memorial will undergo refurbishment work in time for this year’s Remembrance Day ceremony.

Argyll and Bute Council has commissioned MBM Masonry to carry out work on the cenotaph, including repointing, waterproofing and removal of vegetation.

Work will be carried out in two phases. The first stage, which will be completed before the Remembrance Parade, will involve repointing of the lower portion of the monument and thorough cleaning of the stone. Contractors have been asked to ensure that the war memorial is in a suitable condition for the Remembrance Day ceremony.

The second stage will follow in spring, when the remainder of the pointing and waterproofing work will be completed before final cleaning.

The council had hoped to complete the whole refurbishment before the beginning of November, but first had to identify funding for the project within its budgets and also carry out a tender process.

Chairman of the War Memorial Restoration Committee and South Kintyre councillor, Donald Kelly, said: "I am pleased that we now have a clear way forward for this project, although I am extremely disappointed that, despite assurances, the work will carry over into the next financial year.

"The Campbeltown War Memorial project is a very significant one, and we will continue to work with our partners in an effort to complete all aspects of the work in the forthcoming year."

Additional information:

Campbeltown War Memorial, located on the Esplanade, is a C-listed structure created by Alexander Nisbet Paterson. Commissioned in 1922, it was completed in 1923 and its striking appearance is reminiscent of Stirling’s Wallace Monument, designed in 1862 by J T Rochead.
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:33 pm

Here's a wee photo from Rainbow Digital Photography showing the completed work on the War Memorial - looks really nice all lit up now.
Attachments
2013-09-11-war-memorial.jpg
2013-09-11-war-memorial.jpg (32.93 KiB) Viewed 9210 times

Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mzz pasico » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:54 am

Agree the war memorial is looking good but I do not like how the paving stone pathway has been replaced with a pathway of tar!!
Mzz pasico
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:41 pm

Mzz pasico wrote:Agree the war memorial is looking good but I do not like how the paving stone pathway has been replaced with a pathway of tar!!

A top layer dressing has been added on top of the tar. Think this was done on Thursday. Interesting to hear that McFadyens have done all this work for free - well done, great community spirited gesture!
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Local News and Issues