Mull of Kintyre Chinook crash report 'clears pilots'

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:27 pm

From the BBC website - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-14093592

An official review into the Chinook helicopter crash in Scotland concludes the two dead pilots should not have been blamed, the BBC has learned.

Twenty-nine people died on the flight from Belfast to Inverness when it crashed on the Mull of Kintyre in 1994.

The Chinook helicopter crashed on the Mull of Kintyre on the west coast of Scotland in 1994

The independent report, chaired by retired judge Lord Philip, is expected to say that the pilots should not have been accused of gross negligence.

Lord Philip's recommendations will go to the defence secretary.

In what was the RAF's worst peacetime accident, the Chinook carrying 25 of Britain's most senior intelligence experts and four crew crashed in thick fog, killing all on board.

Over nearly two decades, campaigners have sought to have Flt Lt Jonathan Tapper, from Norfolk, and Flt Lt Richard Cook, from Hampshire, cleared of blame, but successive defence secretaries have refused to overturn the findings of two RAF Air Marshals.

The two pilots were blamed for gross negligence but the conclusions have been disputed by campaigners ever since.

After a nine month inquiry, Lord Philip's recommendations have now been submitted to Defence Secretary Liam Fox, who is due to make a statement to MPs next week on the findings.

Campaigners hope that the defence secretary will posthumously clear the pilots of blame.

Susan Phoenix, the widow of Royal Ulster Constabulary counter-terrorism expert Ian Phoenix, who died in the Chinook crash, said: "If it is true I am delighted.

"I am delighted the pilots have been cleared.

"However, I am disappointed the families were not told first."

Flt Lt Richard Cook, left, and Flt Lt Jonathan Tapper Flt Lt Cook, left, and Flt Lt Tapper were blamed for the crash

An MoD spokeswoman said it would be "inappropriate" to comment before Mr Fox made his announcement to parliament.

She said: "The defence secretary asked Lord Philip to conduct a review of the evidence considered by the Board of Inquiry into the Mull of Kintyre Chinook accident.

"An announcement on the report's findings is due to be made to parliament shortly."

The SNP's defence spokesman Angus Robertson MP, who has campaigned to exonerate the two pilots, said he hoped the report would clear them of any blame.

He added: "It is a disgrace the way the families of Flight Lieutenants Jonathan Tapper and Richard Cook have been treated by successive administrations and it is time that the record was officially set straight."
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Mull of Kintyre Chinook crash report 'clears pilots'

Postby Govangirl » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:00 pm

I have waited a long time to hear the results of this report. It is good news.
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jdcarra » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:00 am

I am very glad to hear this result, it has dragged on for too long.It was always in my mind that the two pilots were not too blame.Peace at last for the families concerned.
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:03 am

Listening to Radio Four on the way home last night.A retired R.A.F.officer who was involved in the original enquiry maintained that it was the pilots fault.He said that whether or not there was a fault with the helicopter,they broke the basic rules of airmanship.This states that you do not fly helicopters at low level in mountainous areas in heavy fog.I am not saying that this is the truth of the matter.Just repeating what I heard.
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:47 am

LANDROVER ROGER wrote:Listening to Radio Four on the way home last night.A retired R.A.F.officer who was involved in the original enquiry maintained that it was the pilots fault.He said that whether or not there was a fault with the helicopter,they broke the basic rules of airmanship.This states that you do not fly helicopters at low level in mountainous areas in heavy fog.I am not saying that this is the truth of the matter.Just repeating what I heard.

What if the fault was the controls that indicated the level the pilots were flying at? How would they know then? (not questioning you LR, just the retired RAF Officer 8) )
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:05 am

The IT magazine "Computer Weekly" has campaigned tirelessly for years for the pilots to be cleared. This is one of the primary publications in the IT industry, and seeks to blame software for the crash (so not a particularly easy road to go down)

If you've got some spare time you could read the summary of this report they published. The report goes into the problems with the engine control software on the Chinook, however the summary is quite accessible. The play-on-words title is very apt - RAF Justice!

http://www.computerweekly.com/DowntimeP ... afjust.pdf
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:26 pm

Some sort of justice for the pilots. I suppose it only helps the relatives a little, however now opens an entirely different can of worms about airworthiness, negligence, software bugs, and cover-ups that went on.

Defence Secretary Liam Fox has apologised to the families of two RAF pilots who were wrongly blamed for the 1994 Chinook helicopter crash.

Two RAF air marshals had accused Flt Lts Jonathan Tapper and Richard Cook of gross negligence over the crash on Mull of Kintyre in which 29 people died.

But a fresh review found they should not have been blamed and the earlier ruling has now been set aside.

Mr Fox said he hoped this would remove any stain on the pilots' reputations.

Campaigners have spent almost two decades trying to overturn the decision to blame Flt Lts Tapper, from Norfolk, and Cook, from Hampshire, for the crash.

They claimed that the Chinook helicopter had suffered many technical problems.
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby David Hill » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:07 am

My name is David Hill and I have published a book about the campaign to clear the Chinook ZD576 pilots.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Their-Greatest ... t+disgrace

It is (I hope) easily digestible, with the inevitable detailed technical issues confined to one chapter, which can be skipped without losing the thread. It reveals that the aircraft was not airworthy on the day of the crash, but senior RAF officers had knowingly made a false declaration that it was. This denied crew and passengers the opportunity to make an informed decision as to whether or not to fly in her.

As an integral part of the story, it also explains why MoD is in such dire financial straits, detailing the conscious waste of money that led to the “savings at the expense of safety” reported by Mr Haddon-Cave QC in his Nimrod Review.

ALL proceeds to Medecins sans Frontiers.
David Hill
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Local News and Issues