Give the Ireland ferry a push

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Re: Give the Ireland ferry a push

Postby jdcarra » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:44 am

oorly gourlay wrote:This forum has 538 registered users and as such you all have e-mail. If even half of you are as annoyed as I am at the failure of the Scottish Executive to deliver the ferry service, please join me in letting Tavish Scott the Transport Minister know how you feel.
The e-mail below was sent before I came on the board tonight and I hope that he has a few hundred more to open on Monday morning. Just copy and paste and send to:- scottish.ministers@scotland.gov.uk

oorly

To: Scottish Executive

The failure of the Scottish Executive to deliver the re-introduction of the Campbeltown - Ballycastle ferry service has been met with disappointment in Kintyre and beyond.

I would ask the Transport Minister to provide reasons why the four interested companies did not submit tender documents. Was the proposed million pound subsidy too low?

I would also ask the Minister to give due credence and encouragement to the offer from Dalriada Shipping Company to take on the route.

Just to keep this topic onboard.

I take it everyone who has e-mailed will have by now received an acknowledgement letter from The Scottish Executive and that a reply will be sent as soon as possible.
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby GarySutherland » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:09 pm

Yes, got mine a few days ago.

Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby dgraves » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:28 pm

I received the acknowledgement letter the day after I emailed (Jan 14).

Has anyone received further information?
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby oorly gourlay » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:13 pm

I received this e-mail from the Executive today. There might still be some hope!?

Thank you for your e-mail enquiry of 13 January which was addressed to Scottish Ministers, about the Campbeltown-Ballycastle ferry service. I have been asked to reply.

Scottish Ministers are very disappointed at the outcome of the tendering process. In a press statement issued on 10 January Transport Minister, Tavish Scott explained that we would now explore the reasons for the lack of response from the market. The Minister also explained that we would investigate whether there were any options available which would allow reinstatement of the service within the terms of the current 2005-06 tender.

Once we have analysed the responses received from the four organisations invited to tender we will consider the position further. We will also consider the scope for pursuing any options still available within the terms of this tender process. However, given that this is now our second attempt to see the service reinstated, following the failure of a commercially run summer only service, we need to consider very carefully whether there is any feasible and practical way forward. It is too early to comment further about the reasons for the lack of response from the market, but we will make further information available as soon as possible.

You have also mentioned Dalriada Shipping's interest in running the service. You may be aware that Dalriada Shipping were considered at an early stage in the current 2005-06 tendering process, but were not invited to bid. In reaching a decision about the way forward, I can assure you that Ministers will take account of the group's continued interest, and any other interest, in running the service on the terms set for the current 2005-06 tendering exercise.

I hope this is helpful.

Cheryl Murrie
Scottish Executive
Ferries Division

2 February 2006

Any suggestions on how to keep the pressure on?

oorly
Over land and sea!
oorly gourlay
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby jdcarra » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:35 pm

Ditto

Arrived today.
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Ferry Service

Postby Frosty » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:25 pm

Double Ditto ( if that is grammatically correct )
Arrived this morning.

Frosty
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby paraffin man » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:37 pm

treble ditto
paraffin man
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Big Bob » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:12 am

Quadruple ditto
Big Bob
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Nancie » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:49 am

oorly gourlay wrote:I received this e-mail from the Executive today. There might still be some hope!?
Any suggestions on how to keep the pressure on?

oorly

Please keep up the pressure on George Lyon. He has an office next door to Tavish Scott and is surely well placed to put pressure on him. I know the Traders have written him a very strong letter re the ferry and his actions to date. Also contact your councillors.
Nancie
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Tom B » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:40 am

quintuple ditto
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby kintyre 84 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:35 pm

me six !
kintyre 84
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby oorly gourlay » Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm

Nancie wrote

Please keep up the pressure on George Lyon. He has an office next door to Tavish Scott and is surely well placed to put pressure on him. I know the Traders have written him a very strong letter re the ferry and his actions to date.

I have just followed suit Nancie and I hope that other like-minded members do too.

oorly
Over land and sea!
oorly gourlay
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby paraffin man » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:26 pm

George Lyon MSP, Jamie McGrigor MSP, Maureen Mcmillan MSP & Jim Mather MSP will all be attending the KIWG on Monday 6th Feb & i know that the ferry is first on the agenda.
paraffin man
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby oorly gourlay » Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:17 pm

I have pointed out to Mr Lyon that his responses to the ferry issue have been conspicuous by their absence and that the only MSP who has given a reaction, as far as I have seen, is Jim Mather who appears to be much more supportive. Possibly Mr. Lyon, with his close proximity to Tavish Scott, knows more than he is prepared to divulge. I feel that this criticism also applies to Argyll & Bute Council who seem to have taken an "ach weel we tried" attitude.
Give them a good broadside on Monday night KIWG. I would like to load a shell ot two myself but I also have a meeting to attend.

oorly
Over land and sea!
oorly gourlay
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Nancie » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:08 pm

oorly gourlay wrote:Give them a good broadside on Monday night KIWG. I would like to load a shell ot two myself but I also have a meeting to attend.

oorly

Monday morning, Oorly in the Town Hall Council Chamber, 10.00 am, I think.

Jim Mather is also available for consultation after the meeting. See the Courier.
Nancie
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Local News and Issues