Peatbog Faeries at the Vic!

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Peatbog Faeries at the Vic!

Postby LO » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:22 pm

Have been asked to post the following. Sounds like a great night for a very good cause!

Dunaverty Hall Fundraiser – Press Release

THE Peatbog Faeries are headlining the first in series of events on the 25th of February to raise funds for Dunaverty Village Hall. In conjunction with the Dunaverty Hall Committee local project and events management consultant J.I.G. Events will assist in promoting and planning this concert, which takes place in the Victoria Hall, Campbeltown.

The Peatbog Faeries are an 8 piece band based on Skye which uses deep dub bass lines and spacey electronica along with fiddle and pipe tunes. Having recently introduced a brass section, winning ‘Best Live Act’ at the ‘Hands Up for Trad’ awards 2005, ‘The Faeries’ have never been so popular. NME described them as being “The highlight of Glastonbury” (2005)

Dunaverty Village Hall Committee aims to raise cash from this event towards a new hall. “We are more than halfway there and are continually looking at new ways to raise the money as well as providing something in return” said Susan Paterson Chair of the Hall Committee. “ We hope this will be the start of a number of events that will bring entertainment to South Kintyre.”

This is a rare opportunity to hear The Peatbog Faeries seamless, exciting blend of musical styles and join in the most uplifting Scottish fusion you are ever likely to come across. For further information check out their web site at http://www.peatbogfaeries.com Edit by Malky: Fixed link

Tickets are £12 and will be available soon from AP Taylors, Main Street, Campbeltown, jigevents@supanet.com, susan.paterson1@tesco.net or Iain Johnston on 01586 552034. Watch this space!
Last edited by LO on Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
LO
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Ship called Dignity » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:26 pm

Aye sounds good! And for a very good cause.

First question - how much!? 8)
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:07 pm

LO, the web site address you posted doesn't work because it has a period at the end of it. This should link: www.peatbogfaeries.com
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Stone Cold aka Doags Bs » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:12 pm

worked for me
Stone Cold aka Doags Bs
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby LO » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:00 am

Bobbie En Tejas wrote:LO, the web site address you posted doesn't work because it has a period at the end of it. This should link: www.peatbogfaeries.com

Bobbie, sorry just posted what I was given. Should have checked it first. Thanks to Malky for fixing link and to Stone Cold for confirming it works!
LO
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby LO » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:02 am

Davie P wrote:Aye sounds good! And for a very good cause.

First question - how much!? 8)

Just been told that tickets will be £12 which is more than reasonable in this day and age! Will post again when I find out a date and time for tickets to go on sale.
LO
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Kintyre Lad » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:33 pm

Superb! I have saw the The Peatbog Faeries a few times - they are superb and will really get the Vic jumping!

Excellent cause too - will it just be the same format as the two conerts last year? One tip - sort the bar out mind you! :wink:
Kintyre Lad
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Ship called Dignity » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:22 am

Iain asked me to mention that Violent Echo are supporting the Peatbog Faeries.

Violent Echo are a young Campbeltown group who have a bit of a cult following! :D Well worth £12 to see them and the Faeries.

Iain, also e-mailed me the following which I have added to a webpage to help promote the event. Click here
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mary G » Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:53 am

Hi there!

This is great news, for those who like good music, and also for Southend. Well done to all those people who have pulled off this coup. If you check the gig list on their web-site http://www.peatbogfaeries.com/Tour-Info.html you will see that the day before they are here, they play the Queen's Hall in Edinburgh, and then their next two dates after Campbeltown are the Cheltenham Gold Cup, then down-town Manhattan, for Tartan Week.

I can only assume that this will be a sell-out – it deserves to be. I have heard the Peatbog Faeries a few times in recent years, and they just get better and better. They introduced a brass section last year, both on tour and on their most recent album Croftwork, which is excellent. The last time we saw them they were on as the main act at the Tartan Heart Festival in Belladrum, on the Black Isle; well worth the money for them alone.

A couple of years ago they played the MOKF, on the Saturday night, and brought their own individual style to that last band slot. They seemed to go down well that night, and I am sure that the local discerning audiences will really like how they have developed in the meantime. The piping is still as prominent, and I do hope they get a great reception in the town. See you there, I hope!

Cheers
Mary G
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Tickets Now On Sale

Postby IainJ » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:33 pm

Hi

Thought I’d better join the Forum to help with any queries on the Dunaverty Fundraisers.

The tickets went on sale today Friday 20 Jan from A.P. Taylors, Main Street, Campbeltown. Booking forms are available at jigevents@supanet.com, susan.paterson1@tesco.net or Iain Johnston on 01586 552034.

Tickets cost £12.00 with a limit of 8 tickets per purchase

I will post up more information on concert layouts etc over the next couple of days.

Iain
IainJ
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby IainJ » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:05 pm

In answer to Kintyre Lad’s query about the format of the concert.

The concert will be in a similar format to the two concerts last year. The doors will open at 8.30pm and the concert will finish just before midnight to allow the audience to get into the pubs before they close their doors.

The layout will be similar to the Survivors night last year in that it will be partially seated with a large dance area.

It is the aim of the organisers to put on various styles of concerts from all standing events featuring bands on the touring circuit to events featuring all local bands in a tables and chairs format. If it suits all parties we may also put on concerts in the Picture House as well.

A lot depends on the response to the first concert; as long as it is well supported there will definitely be more events as the year progresses.

So far the response to The Peatbog Faeries concert has been very good with quite a few enquiries from outside the town already.

Iain
IainJ
Active Poster
Active Poster

Peatbog Faeries Review from Scotsman

Postby LO » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:31 pm

If you're trying to decide whether or not the Peatbogs are for you you may be interested in the following review from last week's Scotsman. I've heard that some people are dubious that they might be a folk band but this is far from the case. OK, there may be the odd set of bagpipes lurking but it ain't folk it ain't ceilidh it ain't rock n' roll. It's just music, but not as we know it Jim! :wink:

Peatbog Faeries
The Arches, Glasgow Celtic Connections 2006

It is a bold band that can launch a set with a muscular, epic track which makes them sound like a Celtic Led Zeppelin and promise that "it's still uphill all the way", but Skye's Peatbog Faeries are a bold band - bold enough to team bagpipes and fiddle with unabashed rock drumming, as they do on said track, Croftwork, and bolder still to employ a brass section, which was often called on to add extra dramatic oomph to an already hefty sound.

The danger with folk fusion is that it can be genre-splicing for the sake of trying something different and unsatisfying to folk, jazz or rock devotees. But Peatbog Faeries pay close attention to the dynamics. Each fresh ingredient (did they just throw a synthesiser into the mix?) served to beef up the sound, not muddy the waters. The Great Ceilidh Swindle teamed very traditional Scottish fiddle and pipes parts with rumbling rock rhythms, a couple of otherwise straightforward Irish reels were embellished with African jit guitars and sassy brass, and there was still space for some bluesy harmonica, Pink Floyd guitars, a dubby jam incorporating Papa's Got A Brand New Pigbag and the staple drum solo.

The escalating party momentum of the last half hour was akin to a Celtic rave, eliciting waves of euphoria from the crowd and uniting the tribes in dance. The Peatbog Faeries really do drive uphill all the way.

Fiona Shepherd - The Scotsman, Saturday 21 January 2006
LO
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Return to Local News and Issues