Absolute Eye Sore!

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Postby Jeanette » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:12 am

Kinloch Road Resident wrote:Perhaps I should have went to meetings ................ God forbid the Kilkerran residents as the pipe goes along that way!

Hi resident

You are right, you should have went to the meetings.

The work on the new system began in 1998 and it has meant disruption for a great number of people all over the town since then.

The work that you see at the moment is for pipes being laid to bypass the pumping station to allow for the upgrading of work inside. This will entail the lowering of the weir levels. Six months has been allowed for the work to be carried out but the contractor is hoping to have it finished within that time frame.

You are a bit behind the times with your sympathies accorded to the Kilkerran residents. The idea of a pipe going down that way was scrubbed months ago.

Your sympathies should now lie with the residents of Low Askomil who will now likely bear the brunt of the remedial work AGAIN.

I don't blame anyone for not being too interested in what goes on in Low Askomil because despite efforts and flyers through all the doors along that way to attend meetings and to get involved to try and minimize the disruption, the response from the residents has been at times pathetic.

It will be when the work starts that they will want to know what the hell is going on despite the meetings, information leaflets and reports in the Courier.

Why you don't just go and ask what they are doing at the old triangle. It is not a covert operation Go along and ask to speak to whoever is in charge and he will tell you. It is not a secret. The mystery doesn't need to get any deeper

jeanette
Jeanette
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Kinloch Road Resident » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:20 pm

Thanks Jeanette for your reply. Lots of valid points there. And yes, sorry, I forgot, the new work will go down Low Askomil :oops: I did read that in the Courier.

Don't get me wrong - the work has to be carried out so there has to be disruption of some sort. Just seems a bit OTT at one of the nicest bits to sit in the town. Although it is an eyesore from where I am viewing I was thinking on the Community as a whole and visitors to the town. I'm sure people who stay over the Dalintober side of the town notice this as much when they are walking past or driving. I don't think anything was printed in the Courier showing what was happening - did you see it (anyone that is?)

With regards the meetings - yes you are correct in someways. I should have attended meetings but to be honest I don't and I rarely get involved in anything! :oops: Perhaps I am 'old school' but don't we elect people to represent us? Isn't there a Task Force which will have our interests at heart? I often assume the people who design works look at the affects it has on an area whether it is short term or long term - so you have to think the people at Scottish Water know what they are doing! :shock: :wink: Don't get me wrong, others including myself, should show more interest and be more active but some are betters at others at doing this. Perhaps I was too strong with my initial posting but it was miserable the other day and it wasn't helped by looking out the window at all the mess. As you say - it has been on our door steps for 8 years now - non stop!

With regards your own position I can only sympathise and hope that some of the residents take an interest now. I remember walking along Low Askomil about 6 years ago and the mess was unbelievable - lets hope that does not happen again.

At the end of the day I am more than happy to see this matter moving on - its just a shame it has to happen here again.
Kinloch Road Resident
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby jdcarra » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:57 pm

Just assisting you Davie.

Photo's for all those who don't, or have not seen it.

Last edited by jdcarra on Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby paraffin man » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:46 pm

By the looks of JD's photos it looks as tho we have found the bunker that was in 'LOST'. Maybe John Locke, Kate, Jack & Hurly will come out of the midst?

Maybe the other side of that bunker comes out at Campbeltown? :shock:

Seriously though it is one hell of an eysore & i think KRR has everyones sympathy.
paraffin man
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:26 pm

Good yin about LOST ParaffinMan........ :lol: :lol:

It really is wilookin' !

Dont think there is a combination of vowels that could replace the oo to replicate the true Campbeltown pronounciation of wilookin' :roll:

Emdy care to try?
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:41 pm

If it wasn't so sad it would be funny. Building a huge wooden wall to keep out the ugly sight of the little orange cones.
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby GarySutherland » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:44 am

Good point about the obstruction to view for the buses pulling out. An accident waiting to happen.

Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Kinloch Road Resident » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:17 pm

Nearly saw an accident yesterday with a bus pulling out and a car comimg from Kinloch Road!

My point is it is a eye sore for the whole of Campbeltown not just us who have to look at every day. It is the welcoming point to Campbeltown for those off the bus and by sea. Actually takes the shine off of Nickle And Dimes Sign!

Anyway, I did ask around - as mentioned it is part of the work to be carried out in conjunction with the Sewerage System project. Should be there for 6 months but hopefully not that long but could be longer... On a positive point I was told - 'it'll not look so bad once it gets painted!'

Obviously, I am not on here to try and slow things down or look for change. My point, is merely, if work has to be carried out anywhere in Campbeltown can the relevant authorities please ensure it is not detremental to the town.

To echo 4th Gen's comment and in Campbeltown tongue - it is willukin!
Kinloch Road Resident
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:11 pm

Looking at the picture of the wooden monstrosity, and the area, and drawing on my memory of the lay out from when I was there (and it may not be an accurate picture), the thought occurred to me that that area would be a great place for the kind of park that Bubbly Jock was talking about in the other thread. Divert the traffic, tear up some of the pavement, plant some trees and flowers with some benches, right there near the water. You could make a beautiful little park there that locals and visitors alike could really enjoy. Okay, so I'm a tree hugger. :lol:
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Jeanette » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:03 pm

KRR

None of this work would be happening if SW had got their way. We would have been left with a pumping station that is inadequate for the purpose it was built for and no amount of flooding or damage in the town would have altered their belief that the system was right. The CCC kept the issue to the fore and with the formation and hard work of the Task Force, SW have now to rectify their mistakes.

The sewerage task force which is made up of individuals from all relevant parties including the CCC have worked hard and put in hundreds of hours attending meetings in their own time and at their own expense have forced SW to look again at the failures of the system and the end result is that they have to rectify their mistakes.

Hopefully when the work is done we will have no more flooding of shops and businesses and the whole town should benefit from a new system.

If you wish to complain officially about this "eyesore" which has been erected to allow the work to be carried out why not go along to a meeting and voice your concerns to the people responsible for that and ask them to explain why they worked so hard to make SW spoil your view for six months

Bobbie the area is right beside the park that BJ was on about and it would be an asset to have a real park. Maybe we should now fight for that.

It is a big enough area for everybody including some sort of all weather park at the far end. Johnny takes good photos maybe he will take one of the whole area we are talking about and folks like yourself can get a better picture of the issue.

jeanette
Jeanette
Active Poster
Active Poster

Previous

Return to Local News and Issues