Methadone Clinic in Campbeltown?

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Re: Methadone Clinic in Campbeltown?

Postby devontoffee » Fri May 06, 2011 1:30 pm

You're way behind the times, mugging!!, the incapacity and disability benefits make having any addiction manageable without having to take part in any criminal activity.
If people are making accusations about criminal activities there is no comparison between the numbers of people committing crimes to fund their drug use and the numbers of drunken Scots up in Sherrif Courts for committing crimes whilst pissed out their heads.
devontoffee
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby EileenH » Fri May 06, 2011 3:35 pm

So the addicts that are shoplifting and mugging folk in the street are just doing it for entertainment then? I stand corrected! A drug addict will never have enough money to feed their habit. The more they get the more they want. There are far more serious benefit cheats out there than drug addicts - again, another subject altogether. This thread is about whether a methadone clinic is beneficial to the town. I've given my views on it and I'm sure there are as many for it as against it. Time will tell.
EileenH
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Bobh » Fri May 06, 2011 4:15 pm

devontoffee wrote:You're way behind the times, mugging!!, the incapacity and disability benefits make having any addiction manageable without having to take part in any criminal activity.
If people are making accusations about criminal activities there is no comparison between the numbers of people committing crimes to fund their drug use and the numbers of drunken Scots up in Sherrif Courts for committing crimes whilst pissed out their heads.

You're claerly having a laugh or are completely nieve. Drug usres would sell their granny for money if they could to buy drugs. Crime and drugs are like fish and chips. I agree that people end up in court with alcohol abuse and offences which are brought on by drunken behaviour, howver this topic is not about alcohol.
Bobh
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby devontoffee » Fri May 06, 2011 5:13 pm

I don't see how a methadone clinic will affect anyone other than those that will use it. Don't understand why the Community Council would object to a health improvement initiative unless there's a dose of stigma attached to drug users in general, maybe it's not stigma, perhaps just ignorance.
GP's - don't understand why they would object either, so much research into the benefits of properly structured methadone, they must be aware of this unless they are not keeping up with their PD.
So yes it would appear to be a good idea waiting to happen.
devontoffee
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Nancie » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:04 pm

Campbeltown Community Council is hosting a meeting to discuss methadone treatment in Campbeltown. Local medical staff and health workers have been invited to the Council Chamber in the Town Hall on Monday 13th June at 7.30pm.

All interested in this issue are welcome to come along.
Nancie
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:22 pm

If you are interested in raising concern about the proposals for a methadone clinic in Campbeltown then you should make your way along to the Community Centre, Campbeltown in what may be the last chance to highlight opposition towards the proposals. The following article appeared in Friday's Courier and may actually suggest the clinic is going ahead? Does anyone know??

Substance misuse information event

An information event providing information and leaflets on substance misuse takes place next week. It will be held at the Community Centre, Stewart Road, Campbeltown on Tuesday (tomorrow) November 8th from 3pm to 7pm, with various leaflets and information available from different organisations including Kintyre Alcohol and Drug Advisory Service, Argyll & Bute Addictions team and Argyll & Bute Alcohol and Drug Partnership.

There will be group discussion sessions at 4pm, 5pm and 6pm to discuss the new methadone prescribing service.

Other organisations will be present to answer questions like police and social work.

If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby SKYKON EMPLOYEE » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:32 pm

Anyone who is in the 'for' camp to have a methadone clinic in Campbeltown should, along with the council, think long and hard about the consequences of attracting more drug users to our wee toon.

Robberies such as Stronvaar B.C, ice-cream van & the theft of the poppy donation box from a shop will become a daily occurrence.

Addicted drug users would sell their granny just to get a 'fix'.

Get the druggies a regular job, make them get up in the morning like every other hard working family and earn their living. Society has developed a soft approach on the very people who make them afraid to leave their house at night.

When I was a boy growing up in this town everyone you seen was a familiar face, now all you see hanging around main street on a weekday is strange faces with their eyes popping out their head.
SKYKON EMPLOYEE
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby the ice maiden » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:14 am

as far as I'm aware there were 5 members of the public attended the information day
the ice maiden
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby bill » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:22 am

SKYKON EMPLOYEE wrote:When I was a boy growing up in this town everyone you seen was a familiar face, now all you see hanging around main street on a weekday is strange faces with their eyes popping out their head.

Times change.The Country has changed.Campbeltown has changed.None for the better.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:15 am

the ice maiden wrote:as far as I'm aware there were 5 members of the public attended the information day

That says it all Ice Maiden. We are all guilty of not standing up for what we believe in yet prepared to have a moan about it afterwards. (including myself!)

In these circumstances everyone thinks someone else will do something about it.

I suspect the Methadone Clinic will get the go ahead then?
Last edited by Kintyre Forum News on Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Martin » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:19 am

Lock up your ice cream vans ! Not forgetting your doors, windows, cars, bikes, sew fishing hooks inside your jacket pockets, basically nail down everything that moves.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby the ice maiden » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:20 pm

To be honest I've never met a heroin user who WANTS to be on methadone. The ones who are on methadone want to be totally clean from everything. There are far more users in the town than the powers at be would like to admit to, they try to deny that there is in fact a heroin problem in the town. There is also a far higher amount of people who use illegal drugs socially. To be fair we deal with far more people everyday where alcohol is the problem. There is a huge number of people struggling with alcohol problems in the town. Yes I do think the methadone clinic is needed, but only if it is structured correctly. People on a structured programme find this more beneficial in their recovery. It won't attract more users to the town, because they can get methadone anywhere else they want, here is one of the only places that it is not prescribed. People move to the town because they are getting handed houses, and as far as I'm aware you were only supposed to be housed through homeless if you had connections to the town, this is clearly not the case.
To be fair, I think only a handful of people turned up at the information day because it was so poorly advertised, which in my opinion is the way it was wanted. I was totally against the information day, I felt that a public meeting would be a far better way of answering peoples questions and fears.
the ice maiden
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby the ice maiden » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:21 pm

Also, the clinic is going ahead.
the ice maiden
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:13 pm

Meant to post this link to the story that appeared in the Daily Record last week

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/healt ... te-1276849

Why isn't there a bigger outcry about this if people are against it? For debate purposes 8)

Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Stebyr » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:07 pm

Kintyre Forum News wrote:Meant to post this link to the story that appeared in the Daily Record last week

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/healt ... te-1276849

Why isn't there a bigger outcry about this if people are against it? For debate purposes 8)

Very interesting, much the same story was in the Scottish Daily Mail on the same day by a different reporter using the same quotes and I was told by one of the people who was quoted that they never said what was claimed they had said.
Stebyr
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

PreviousNext

Return to Local News and Issues