Methadone Clinic in Campbeltown?

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Re: Methadone Clinic in Campbeltown?

Postby Bobh » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:18 pm

The majority of those on Methadone don't contribute to society and never will. Don't see why those working should pay for their habit.
Bobh
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby EileenH » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:42 pm

Swanseajock, if you work with people with this habit then you are seeing it first hand. The families of someone with a heroin habit know only too well how difficult it is. It isn't just the user who lives the nightmare. The family live it too. Problem is, the user has the great difficulty of accepting any help, or hope, of coming off this awful drug. Methadone is just an easy option till the real thing becomes available to them. I agree, they need to be taken away from any temptation. I had a family member who went out to the middle of nowhere to a place where they had to work on farmland away from everyone. This worked fine until he was back among folk and temptation. Back he went on the heroin. Didn't work. No longer here to tell the tale. Drugs are worse than anything else thrown in the path of young folk today. Think prevention is better than the cure. Drug addicts should go round the schools showing kids the outcome of dabbling in them. Worked for my kids. They just had to look at their cousin, who they loved, to see what drugs do to your life.
EileenH
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Swanseajock » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:27 am

Eileen, I couldn't agree with you more. I lost a relative (allbeit an in-law) to drugs, so although I am hard-hearted I know the pain and the effect. The methadone programme is just a part of the whole thing. The druggies need to be identified - not too hard - and grabbed by the scruff and taken away until they are clean. But it won't happen, because the people who make the decisions are too scared and too liberal to make the tough decisions. :@
Swanseajock
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Martin » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:21 pm

Junkies in Scotland , perish the thought, I thought you exported them all to England.
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EileenH » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:14 pm

My nephew went willingly on this programme but it was through the church. At night, everyone had to sit and read the bible together and take turns to read to everyone else. He did not enjoy this but enjoyed every other part of it. He then decided he was fine and returned home. Had he been persuaded to stay the outcome may have been different. He just didn't have the willpower to stay off the drugs. In the end it was his druggie girlfriend who murdered him, fighting over drugs. He was only 28. He was very bright and loving as a child and had a soft heart. He left behind a baby daughter who is now being brought up by my sister. He was on the methadone programme at Dumbarton but he also continued using as well. The methadone was just a top up for him and I believe it is also addictive. Am I right in saying you take methodone to come off the heroin but then have to be weaned off the methadone?
EileenH
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Martin » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:44 pm

Last edited by Martin on Mon May 02, 2011 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Martin » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:02 pm

Last edited by Martin on Mon May 02, 2011 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby devontoffee » Thu May 05, 2011 5:09 pm

Interesting discussions, I wonder what the difference is between drug users, drinkers, smokers or those who are morbidly obese.
I suspect the numbers of the latter groups feature more heavily on the doctors and surgeons waiting lists than drug users.
I object to my tax pound funding treatment for smokers, I object to the cost of policing alcohol related incidents and as for the ever increasing morbidly obese, don't even get me started on that. Too much is made of drug users by people who seem to miss the similarities with their own behaviour. It's all similar and all related just using different ways of coping.
What's that saying about people in glass houses?
devontoffee
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Bobh » Thu May 05, 2011 6:02 pm

devontoffee wrote:Interesting discussions, I wonder what the difference is between drug users, drinkers, smokers or those who are morbidly obese.
I suspect the numbers of the latter groups feature more heavily on the doctors and surgeons waiting lists than drug users.
I object to my tax pound funding treatment for smokers, I object to the cost of policing alcohol related incidents and as for the ever increasing morbidly obese, don't even get me started on that. Too much is made of drug users by people who seem to miss the similarities with their own behaviour. It's all similar and all related just using different ways of coping.
Interesting discussions, I wonder what the difference is between drug users, drinkers, smokers or those who are morbidly obese.

At least those who smoke and drink pay duty (taxes)for theirguilty pleasures. The majority don't commit crime to pay for theirs. Drug users and those on Methadone are costing us all a fortune,
Bobh
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby D.H » Thu May 05, 2011 6:35 pm

Bobh do you think that legalising drugs would make things better? That might solve a lot of problems in relation to crime and forced prostitution.
D.H
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Bobh » Thu May 05, 2011 8:29 pm

D.H wrote:Bobh do you think that legalising drugs would make things better? That might solve a lot of problems in relation to crime and forced prostitution.

Lagalising drugs. No way. Put simply, its a lifestyle choice.
Bobh
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby devontoffee » Fri May 06, 2011 12:22 am

They have already legalised drugs, you buy them in 20's and 10's and 70cl and litre bottles.
devontoffee
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Bobh » Fri May 06, 2011 12:27 am

The 'operative' word being legalised. You may not like it but they are.
Bobh
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby devontoffee » Fri May 06, 2011 8:36 am

The health, social and enforcement costs associated with tobacco and alcohol far outweighs the costs associated with drug use. The difference is the government makes money from them and even though all reasearch shows they pose greater health and social problems, the UK government refuses to accept responsibility for tougher controls. If alcohol and tobacco were only discovered now they would never be 'legalised', the UK government have too much to lose, David Nutt comes to mind.
devontoffee
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby EileenH » Fri May 06, 2011 8:45 am

Devontoffee, smokers don't go about mugging people for money for a packet of fags!! There is no comparison on the damage done. Don't know why you're bringing smoking and drinking into this discussion though - I thought it was about heroin and methadone?? Your comments are another subject. I'd rather try to stop smoking than come off heroin, given a choice. it kills. You don't get away with taking it long term, it damages all your organs, but by the time you realise the damage it's doing it's too late. Kids in schools need to be educated on the damage it does. They only need to look at am addict to make a choice of whether or not that's how they want to turn out. My kids watched a cousin they loved slowly destroy himself. They have very clear views about the results of using drugs. Hard lesson for them but at least I know their feelings on it and that they are very much against drugs. I don't think enough is said about it in schools. Prevention is always better than the cure. :-)
EileenH
Active Poster
Active Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Local News and Issues