All weather sports surface - thoughts?

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

All weather sports surface - thoughts?

Postby hoots the scoop » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:28 pm

No major surprise to read in the courier that the Council will not be providing the town with an all weather surface in the near future despite their promises.

What are your thoughts? Should we go it alone?

Seems to be the only option now! :shock:
hoots the scoop
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Thewetman » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:11 pm

Whits the point in hayin cooncillurs if they canna make sure the cooncil pits money in the budget fur the park. Thats whit we elect them fir.

This is no doon tae us tae sort again - huv we no hud tae fix enough keech abandoned by the cooncil - the ferry, the sewage, noo the fitba field.

Time oor councillurs wur held tae accoont - get the claymores oot the thatch :twisted:
The sky meets the land on the horizon, I was told this by a sparrow with a bump on its head
Thewetman
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Kintyre Lad » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:27 pm

I'm with you on this one Wetman. We have to find out why it is not happening now - simply saying it will not happen should not be accepted.

Damm disgrace this - but then again if you ask any sporting club in the town they have only been shouting out for this for the last 20 years! Promises, promises.... :? :cry:
Kintyre Lad
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Ship called Dignity » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:00 am

Just noticed this thread - doh! :shock:

I read this article with dis-belief! Amongst many others the requirement for an all weather surface with floodlights is a high, high priority for sports clubs in Campbeltown and Kintyre as a whole. I was disheartened to read that there is now no money available from the Council and our probable option is to take this forward as a community. I'll have to see the article again but if I recall correctly ABC put a Playing Field Strategy Report forward about 3 years ago and Campbeltown was earmarked as the final phase of this project. Money was available and was all part of the overall 3-4 year plan. Just seems odd now this can be pulled from below our feet?

I'll try and find this report and read up on it plus I'll e-mail Rory Colville to ask for his comments on the matter as there are obiously issues with the whole project.

Quite surprised more people are not commenting on this - or are we now all at an age where we just sit behind keyboards at night! :shock: :wink:
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bubbly jock » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:06 am

Davie P wrote:I read this article with dis-belief!..... floodlights.. sports clubs Playing Field Strategy........

Aye Davie fowl play right enough.

Would this new surface also be for be for tennis, netball, cricket, hockey, rugby, tea dances or is it jeest for fitba? Jeest a question you understand 'cause I see you are calling it an all weather sports thingy and that reminds me on the night we played yon game where you choose your catagory and one wee fitba daft punter kept on asking for a sport question and after getting ten out of ten wrang because nane of the questions mentioned fiba he went away home greetin. You see, to him sport is fitba. So before tins are rattled maybe we could know what we are donating to. You see what I mean

Thewetman wrote: noo the fitba

The Wetman has answered Davie, no need to get back on this wan. It would seem it's aboot fitba after all.

Och, have you naw got enough playing fields already withoot throwing money at another wan.

bubbly
bubbly jock

Postby Pete Reek » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:26 am

Eddie Ted
Last edited by Pete Reek on Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete Reek

Postby Kintyre Lad » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:43 pm

bubbly jock wrote: Och, have you naw got enough playing fields already withoot throwing money at another wan.

bubbly

Although you are probably just looking for someone to bite here Bubbly I would suggest there are never enough playing fields. Surely you will remember the days when many a field was a field and is now just full of houses! :shock:

Have spent a considerable amount of time travelling it still amazes me that we are so far behind when it comes to providing facilities for the local community. An all weather surface should have been given priority years ago and although I didn't read the article it is surely something that the area needs?

Whether or not there are too many sports fields is another debate but you surely would agree the area needs an all weather surface for ALL sports?
Kintyre Lad
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby bubbly jock » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:31 pm

Pete Reek wrote:I know that football is the most popular sport in the area

Aye Reeking Pete

But that is only because some of the other sports need facilities and conditions that don't exist. Any wee bit of grass will do for kicking a ball to the standard that all players in the wee toon reach.

I have never been an advocate of the peer pressure that is put on the male population to play the wee man, big man game. How many of our younger generation of males only play because their father has a dream that his boy will play for Scotland when maybe the boy would rather knit.

If we are looking for community money why not floodlight the tennis court, the bowling greens where all ages can participate, not just those that think they are fit and active and wear football strips. Would you fitba guys allow the shinty crowd at least two hours a week and what about the athletes who you have rightly said don't get the opportunity to develop their skills and would the pole vaulters be allowed the use of the goal posts that no doubt would be a permanent fixture on the all weather "sports" surface. I honestly believe that an all weather surface is long overdue but I am very cynical as to the approach that would be taken regarding this new "fitba" park by all aspiring "fitba" players..

Kintyre Lad wrote:it still amazes me that we are so far behind when it comes to providing facilities for the local community.

Of course we are K.L. but the facilities need to be for all interests before you can get the begging bowl oot.

Looking at it from a broader view, where do any of you get off thinking that such a huge central expanse should be used for sports facilities. What about a real park for people of all ages and mobility to enjoy. Paths, gardens and relaxation are just as important as an all weather football pitch which to my mind should be an afterthought.

I am not trying to take the rise out of anyone it just annoys me to think that if it has to be changed why should it not be for all sections of the community.

bubbly
bubbly jock

Postby Ship called Dignity » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:53 pm

bubbly jock wrote:I have never been an advocate of the peer pressure that is put on the male population to play the wee man, big man game. How many of our younger generation of males only play because their father has a dream that his boy will play for Scotland when maybe the boy would rather knit.

If we are looking for community money why not floodlight the tennis court, the bowling greens where all ages can participate, not just those that think they are fit and active and wear football strips. Would you fitba guys allow the shinty crowd at least two hours a week and what about the athletes who you have rightly said don't get the opportunity to develop their skills and would the pole vaulters be allowed the use of the goal posts that no doubt would be a permanent fixture on the all weather "sports" surface. I honestly believe that an all weather surface is long overdue but I am very cynical as to the approach that would be taken regarding this new "fitba" park by all aspiring "fitba" players..

I take exception to your comments about football Bubbly Jock (though in a constructive way :lol: ) though there are some truths in your point about peer pressure. I certainly am not hearing hordes of people on here complaining about not getting an all weather FOOTBALL picth. I think you will find that most of the people involved in football would be the first to realise if we are going to get such a facility then lets get it right and have a good enough one that will house all the sports. For example an all weather floodlit facility is required for Athletics too - we have one of the best young athletes in our midst and all he can do to train is run about the roads in the dark! :idea:

Bowling is probably another road mind you - you'd really have to look at having some kind of indoor facility (similar to the one in Dumbarton) which could be utilised by all ages.

bubbly jock wrote:
Kintyre Lad wrote:it still amazes me that we are so far behind when it comes to providing facilities for the local community.

Of course we are K.L. but the facilities need to be for all interests before you can get the begging bowl oot.

Looking at it from a broader view, where do any of you get off thinking that such a huge central expanse should be used for sports facilities. What about a real park for people of all ages and mobility to enjoy. Paths, gardens and relaxation are just as important as an all weather football pitch which to my mind should be an afterthought.

I am not trying to take the rise out of anyone it just annoys me to think that if it has to be changed why should it not be for all sections of the community. bubbly

I've heard this before from you Bubbly...are there not parks in this area for the very such said purpose above? Kinloch Green, Stewarts Green, Quarry Green, Kirkland etc? By the way - a genuine question! 8)

PS - Not trying to get your back up either... :wink:
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby paraffin man » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:12 pm

Interesting article on Reporting Scotland tonight.

The manager of one of the top rugby teams in Edinburgh was on complaing that the Scottish Executivw are not investing enough money in sports overall in Scotland. He said that the government are not investing or giving backing to sport & that people involved are being left to get it sorted themselves from marketing & gaining funds, sounds very familiar, meadows pavillion? & this project?

If someone like that was complaining in the capital city you have to ask the question what hope have we got?

I would certainly hope it would be a facility that could be used for all sports.
paraffin man
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Thewetman » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:15 pm

burdi - the fact is we're gettin nuthin when we should be gettin sumthin. Along wae a new school them yins up-the-loch ur gettin a brand new all singin an dancin sports centre wae all weather floodlights the lot, thats where oor a weather surface is at.

Come on burdie lets stop bickerin among oor sells - time fur a right royal rumpus.
The sky meets the land on the horizon, I was told this by a sparrow with a bump on its head
Thewetman
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby take_a_pop » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:16 pm

Aye, but it fecks up yur worm ferm P/man, lucki ye've at thit grun oh yer ane oot thir.
take_a_pop
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby paraffin man » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:21 pm

TAP

It's no my grun! maybe MOD donate a bit!

Your point is right though the ground there would be ideal for this sort of project, but it is probvably too far oot o the toon!
paraffin man
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby take_a_pop » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:30 pm

Nut atall P/man, nathin cuid ever be too far oot thi toon, seems tae me tis the oni wae tae get onythin, tis by bein oot thi toon, we'll at leest 50 miles oot the toon, wish'd a cuid unnerstan how boo boo land gits everythin an awe we git is the left oors
take_a_pop
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Pete Reek » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:49 am

Eddie Ted
Last edited by Pete Reek on Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete Reek

Next

Return to Local News and Issues