Longest Beach in Argyll?

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Longest Beach in Argyll?

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:59 pm

I read with interest that the stretch of beach from Machrihanish to Westport is the longest beach in Argyll.

Can anyone confirm this?

http://www.worldtour-of-scotland.com/pr ... tyre.shtml

Nice picture of it here.

http://www.visitkintyre.info/kintyrepho ... V00006.htm
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:36 pm

That's a good picture Davie, I see Ballygroggan were at the silage!! or maybe it's Lossit :roll:
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DOUBLE A » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:49 pm

4th gen Suthen' wrote:That's a good picture Davie, I see Ballygroggan were at the silage!! or maybe it's Lossit :roll:

Think it must be Ballygroggan, not sure the laird of Lossit does the silage :roll:
" on the road tae Drumlemman "
DOUBLE A
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby GarySutherland » Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:03 am

Having surfed at Westport myself I was surprised at how (relatively) warm the water was. I did nearly bash my brains out on the submerged cobbles though.

Cheers
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:24 am

I saw on one of the threads someone mention kayaking. Do many people do that there? Are there fairly safe places for people who are fair beginners? Does the water get warm enough in the summer that you can do it without a cold water scuba suit?
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ross » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:38 pm

It can on occasion get warm enough for a few weeks to go in the water with just a pair of board shorts
Ross
Active Poster
Active Poster

Google Earth

Postby chrisduffy » Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:45 pm

Have you tried Google Earth? It certainly looks like its the longest beach in Argyll from 'up there' 8) .
Some areas of the UK are in great detail (Glasgow, Manchester etc), but some not so good, but still an interesting site.

http://earth.google.com/

Cheers

Chris
chrisduffy
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby GarySutherland » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:03 pm

Google Earth is brilliant but you do need a fast internet connection.

Cheers
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby oorly gourlay » Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:27 pm

There won't be much in it but I reckon that the Big Strand on Islay, that must be around 7 miles long, will be a longer beach than Westport. I'm surprised that Armin Grewe, with his extensive knowledge of Islay, did not point this out.

oorly
Over land and sea!
oorly gourlay
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Armin » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:01 pm

oorly gourlay wrote:There won't be much in it but I reckon that the Big Strand on Islay, that must be around 7 miles long, will be a longer beach than Westport. I'm surprised that Armin Grewe, with his extensive knowledge of Islay, did not point this out.

oorly

Can't remember why I didn't, but my excuse is that I don't count Islay as belonging to Argyll as Islay is special ;-)
Armin
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby bubbly jock » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:41 pm

Armin wrote:Islay is special ;-)

Aye you're right there!!

I very soon realised my mistake. I shouldn't have got on the ferry at Kennacraig. I thought Port Ellen was bad 'till I reached Bowmore and the sight that met me was reminiscent of a Sergio Leone movie.

Jamieson Street deserted apart from the obligatory mongrel sitting in the middle of the road licking it's ain erse. It only stopped long enough to move and let the tumbleweed go by.

Doon at the square there was a bevy of local worthies debating on the merits of the local brew. Some of them took their work really seriously and had to have it poured in while horizontal and seemingly unconsious.

Their dedication was admirable.

The place was characterless but not found wanting in characters. I did see one upright local but she disappeared into the round church I believe she was wearing a dog collar, more than can be said for the mongrel in Jamieson Street.

The view from the bus from Port Ellen to Bowmore was desolate and resembled a moon walk. The road over the peat bog was like a roller coaster.

The thoughts going through my head were that the Highland Clearances must have brought a very welcome change from this barren whisky soaked Island.

In my opinion the best view was the gangway leading on to the ferry back to civilisation

bubbly
bubbly jock

Postby oorly gourlay » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:51 pm

Willkommen zu Visitkintyre Armin. You have just met one of the great characters on the board, bubbly jock.
At the risk of being accused of changing a thread, I must take exception to your comments on Islay bubbly although I do agree that the east side of the island from Port Ellen through to Bowmore is barren and pretty much a waste land but you only have to go a mile off the road down to the Big Strand to appreciate some of the island's beauty. The coastal villages on the west side are really attractive and the countryside around The Rhinns at Port Wemyss, Portnahaven, Saligo, Ardnave and Gruinart to name but a few is beautiful.
Like yourshelf bubbly, I have seen the horizontal local heroes in the villages but they are harming only themselves and are no different to their bretheren on the mainland in any Argyll town you care to mention.
Also like yourshelf, my first impressions of the island were similar but I have grown to enjoy my visits and as you know, I am particularly fond of its most famous product and I don't mean the geese. Maybe its my Hebridean genes coming to the fore.
Thank goodness you never landed on Jura by mistake, I hate to think what your comments about it would be :D
Finally, do yourshelf a favour and carry on past Port Askaig for an hour and try the lovely island of Colonsay especially on a sunny day.

oorly
Over land and sea!
oorly gourlay
Active Poster
Active Poster

Return to Local News and Issues