Kintyre Recycling

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Kintyre Recycling

Postby KintyreRecycling » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:46 am

Help us improve your service with any helpful sugestions or questions we can answer. Please take the time to fill in our online questionnaire.

Thanks for your Help, Kintyre Recycling

For more information on recycling in your area please feel free to contact us at,

Kintyre Recycling limited
67 Glebe Street
Campbeltown
Argyll
PA28 6LR

telephone: 01586 553858
http://www.kintyrerecycling.com
admin.krl@btconnect.com
Kintyre Recycling Limited
"Kintyre community Recycling champions"
KintyreRecycling
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Re: Kintyre Recycling

Postby KintyreRecycling » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:49 am

KintyreRecycling
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Ninja Mania » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:03 am

Question: Have you ever taken your campaign to schools to teach the children the importance of recycling?.

I only ask because we have 4 children who will not (unless forced too) empty the recycling bags in the bin's provided. They seem to think they are way too cool to do that. I dont think they realise that recycling is for thier benefit too, hence my opening question.
Btw, the children are all in the Grammar school, surely they must have had some education on this matter.
Ninja Mania
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby KintyreRecycling » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:54 am

Thanks for providing feedback so quckly and filling in the questionnaire keep them coming and tell your friends! its important for us to know what you think so that we can improve.

To answer your question Ninja, there is a organisation called GRAB (Group for recycling in Argyll and Bute) who are responsible for education in the area which includes schools. It is likely there is room for improvment in the comunication between our organisations and we will look to improving this in the future. Until then keep an eye on our website which will be upgraded in the coming weeks for some useful tips on how you can recycle better. Maybe you could suggest some features which could be included on the website which might get your children interested?

Thanks for your help,

KRL
KintyreRecycling
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:59 am

does the roadside collection want glossy magazine paper?
or does it "contaminate" the whole bag as some people say?
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby katya » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:14 pm

4th gen, a couple of weeks ago I took a pile of glossy magazines to the dump and was told to put them in the 'newspaper' bin. Therefore, I assume you can put them in the same bag as the paper one. Hope this helps, though I'm sure I will be corrected if wrong!
katya
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby KintyreRecycling » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:49 pm

Yeh thats fine 4th gen.

You can put them in the "dry" bag along with any other paper, card, cardboard, magazines, books and we also take shoes and textiles.

Things to leave out are Envelopes with windows, tissue paper, and paper food and drinks cartons such as Tetra Pak.
KintyreRecycling
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby kmc » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:51 pm

Is Tetra Pak milk cartons?

When we put water botles out is it ok to leave the tops on or not?
Kenny
kmc
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby KintyreRecycling » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:15 pm

Yes tetra pak are cartons that you get for milk and orange juice.
ANd yes if you could please remove the lid from all of the bottles that you recycle.

Thanks

Kintyre Recycling
KintyreRecycling
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby WC1 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:59 pm

Btw, the children are all in the Grammar school, surely they must have had some education on this matter.

The Grammar School recycles paper (lots of it) and cardboard, cans, plastic bottles and old clothing. There are bins for these at various points around the school and its grounds and every classroom has a box for paper. There have been various curricular projects on green issues and last session we led a national pilot based on the book 'The Carbon Diaries' by Sacci Lloyd. This was a cross-curricular project involving English, Geography, IT and Science. We have an active, pupil-led Eco team and so far have Eco-School status at Silver level. Not everyone 'buys into it' of course, but we are trying hard!
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby kmc » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:16 pm

Tetra Pak milk cartons are they the normal ones with blue and green tops or other type
Kenny
kmc
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby KintyreRecycling » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:08 am

Thanks WC1 i'm glad so much is going on at the school it sounds like they have been working hard.

The only milk cartons that we take are the plastic bottles.

Thanks to everyone who filled in the survey yeterday, there has been a lot of useful comments but we the more the better and if you don't recycle at the moment your feedback is just as important so please take 5 mins to fill in the survey.

KRL
KintyreRecycling
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby fiona28 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:59 pm

castlehill school have also been working very hard and have an eco-group and have gained flags (i think to silver level) which are proudly displayed in their playground - i'm sure someone more informed than me could tell you more about it. :D
Dance like no-one is watching....
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby KintyreRecycling » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:34 pm

We will be attending the community coffee morning at the guide hall tomorrow morning (16th sept) between 10 and 1. You are welcome to come along for information about recycling or to pick up some bags to get started. It is also a good chance to see what else is going on in your community with a number of other organisations attending and a chance to buy fresh local organic produce and pick up some gardening tips from the community garden.

See you all there

KRL :D
KintyreRecycling
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:27 am

What about the bales/bags of shredded newspaper for animal bedding? that seemed to me to be a great idea, keeping it all local. I bought many tons of it at the time and with the price of straw delivered here to Kintyre now near , an astronomical, £120/t maybe it would be economically viable to make that product again.

It would save transporting all the newspaper up the road and all the costs that entails and also save many, many, lorries thundering their way to Kintyre with hundreds, perhaps thousands, of tons of straw. It would be doubly GREEN. And ultimately the paper would be incorporated back into the Kintyre soil....better still.
I most certainly would buy recycled and shredded newspaper to bed my coos.

Is there an opportunity there for some Kintyre entrepreneur to work with Kintyre Recycling?
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Local News and Issues