COUNCIL AGREES MAJOR UPGRADING AT CARRADALE HARBOUR

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Postby Admin3 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:21 pm

From the Argyll & Bute Council website. Verygood news for Carradale and Kintyre in general.

http://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/content/n ... arbour?a=0

Thu, 24 Mar 2005 14:34:30
Argyll and Bute Council has earmarked £452,000 within its Capital Rolling Programme for the upgrading of Carradale Harbour. The Council agreed the expenditure during the financial year 2006/07 at their meeting on 17 March.

Local member Councillor Rory Colville welcomed the funding commitment. He said, “This is great news for Carradale, and even better as there is the possibility we may be able to lever in an equivalent amount from Europe. This is dependent on the diversification of the harbour use to include aquaculture and the Council is looking at various options regarding this.
“What is especially exciting is that this funding has been now earmarked for the year 2006/07 which has seen the project brought forward from ‘future years’. I am very pleased indeed at this advancement and will be actively involved now in lobbying for European funding.”
Admin
Admin3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby GarySutherland » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:49 am

Yeah, this is great news for Carradale although I can foresee a lot of to'ing and fro'ing before everything is finalised. The fishermen are naturally protective of the harbour but getting more pleasure craft into Carradale can only be good for the local businesses.

I've been told that the pier at Carradale is the oldest cast iron pier in Scotland (and possibly Britain) but can't find any documentation to back this up. Does anyone know? Certainly it looked a lot more attractive before the open structure was sheeted-over.

Personally I'd like also to see the river at Waterfoot dredged and modern pontoons moored so that we're not marooned there at low-tide, but that would take a whole lot of extra money - not to mention getting the agreement and assistance of everyone else here.

Cheers
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Big Bob » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:58 pm

Use of boats at Waterfoot at low tide. You could moor your boat at the ring for the salmon net at Salmon Rock (if the ring is still there, if not put another one in). Tie a rope from the stern to the ring and put your anchor out from the bow up one of the wee gullies. There used to be 3 or 4 boats moored there as the tide was going out for evening fishing at low tide.
Big Bob
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Return to Local News and Issues